Chapter 43: Distance over Time

Cordyn kept on refreshing the screen of his phone. Nothing changes. No matter how many times he did it. Yesterday was his Papa's birthday. He tried to communicate again for the first time since his last message. But he got no reply. It's understandable but still, he feels disheartened.

He laid his phone down when Taeyeon stirred beside him. She snugged closer to him and he enclosed her in his arms.

"What time is it?" She asked groggily.

"Five twenty six."

"I'm so glad you're free today."

"Will the salon be closed too?"

"Yeah."

Taeyeon found work as a cosmetician in their neighborhood beauty salon while Cordyn was hired as a caretaker at a private beach house owned by a wealthy business man. Sometimes, he also part-times in the seafood market and at a restaurant near the beach.

"Let's go to the market and buy something we can cook for later." Cordyn suggested.

"Okay." She stayed snugged.

"We have to get ready so we can get them fresh."

"Let's stay like this for a little while." She looked at him, pouting. "We're rarely in bed like this. You're always gone when I wake up in the morning."

He gave her an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry." And stroked the back of her head.

The funds they have, consisting of that given by JK and their shared savings, is quickly dwindling. In fear of failing to provide for Taeyeon sufficiently, Cordyn took on multiple jobs. He's dreading that she'll regret her decision once she experiences poverty. But he missed the possibility of it happening on the account of him being unable to give her the time she wanted with him.

"Okay." He kissed her forehead. "I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologize. I understand. I just want us to spend time together whenever we can."

"Yeah. We will."

She smiled before pulling him for a kiss. They cuddled for a while, kissing and feeling each other's warmth and heartbeat. An hour after, they cooked breakfast together and ate. Then, they readied to go and left for the market.

On their way out, they chanced upon the landlady of the Hanok they are living in. She just got back from a walk with another neighborhood ahjumma.

"Oh. You're free today?" She remarked warmly.

He nodded politely. "Since it's a holiday."

"Where are you two going?"

"We're going to the market. We'll buy something to cook for New Year's Eve."

"It's so nice that you're spending time with your wife. She's always alone when you're at work."

They responded with a small smile.

"Go on. Don't let me hold you up."

They bowed. "Take care. We're going."

"Yes. Have a safe journey."

They walked away hand in hand while the two elder women watched them.

"I think the rumors are true." The other said. Her friend looked at her with her eyebrows lifted. "You know what they say. That those two eloped from their rich families. I mean, it's obvious with their looks. Skin's both white and unblemished. Even their hands are pretty. They're uncalloused and look so soft. And Hana can't do anything. Doesn't know how to clean. Doesn't do laundry. Can't even cook. Can't even use a knife in the kitchen. She only sits while Suho does everything. All she's good at is make up and cosmetics. Some even say that she's from that rich family from Seoul. The one who owns malls and buildings. It's in the news a few months ago. Mr. Song's daughter who's working in Seoul saw it. Their youngest daughter ran away from home with a man."