𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Spottedsong watched as Dovepaw left, her head throbbing with all of the thoughts that whirled in her mind like a sandstorm

Spottedsong watched as Dovepaw left, her head throbbing with all of the thoughts that whirled in her mind like a sandstorm. She turned back toward where she and Foxclaw had been staying, hoping that she would be able to sleep peacefully while deep inside she knew that she wouldn't. She would be haunted by the infinite voices in her head, telling her what to do and what not to do.

"Spottedsong? Are you alright? I was wondering where you were." Foxclaw's amber eyes glowed in the moonlight. He walked toward Spottedsong, looking concerned. "I heard you yowl."

"It was nothing," Spottedsong growled through gritted teeth. She couldn't bear to look at his sweet worried eyes now. She already felt bad enough. She walked past him and to her nest under the juniper bush.

"Was someone else there?" Foxclaw pressed, getting into his nest beside her.

Spottedsong looked at him blankly. She didn't know if she should tell him about Dovepaw. It would hurt him too much, surely? "No. I'm tired, so I'm going to sleep. You should, too." She curled up, ignoring whatever Foxclaw said in reply, and fell into an uneasy sleep.

***

Spottedsong woke again in a grassy field. She recognized the scent of Moonclaw in the undergrowth. A feeling of dread overtook her as she walked to the bushed in search of the strange medicine cat. "Come out. I know you're there."

The beautiful black-and-white cat came out of the bushes and looked at Spottedsong calmly. "You failed again," she hissed, her eyes shining with disappointment and a little bit of fear.

"I know. And I don't care." Spottedsong avoided Moonclaw's gaze. "If they kill me, so what? Everyone I care about will be safe."

There was a curious meow from Moonclaw. "Is that so? So you wouldn't mind if Cypressstar came to your nest now and killed you in your sleep?"

"Of course I would care," Spottedsong snapped. "I just think it's for the best."

"Why don't I tell Cypressstar to give you one more chance?" Moonclaw suggested.

"What do you mean?" Spottedsong still avoided her gaze. "Do you mean that you want me to attempt to kill her again?"

"Yes."

Spottedsong ignored her and kept her eyes glued to the ground.

"Stubborn one, aren't you?" Moonclaw mewed softly. Spottedsong felt her tail under her chin as she lifted her head. Spottedsong was trapped in the green depths of Moonclaw's eyes. "Don't be so scared."

"I have a right to be scared, don't I? You tried—"

"Hush." Moonclaw's voice was a little more than a whisper. Spottedsong immediately fell silent before she had time to snap at her. "You will succeed this time. I know you will."