𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Mousetail was curled up against Skystorm, relishing the sunshine with delight

Mousetail was curled up against Skystorm, relishing the sunshine with delight. It was a beautiful day. The sky was clear and blue with not a cloud in sight, and the sun shone delightfully onto the camp. When the other cats in the Clan had time, they rested in the sunniest spots of the camp to soak in the sunlight. It was especially delightful for Mousetail. For her entire life, she never imagined a day like this being so great. But now that she had Skystorm by her side, everything was better.

     The other thing that made it better was the day before, the day Dovepaw came into camp with Foxclaw and Spottedsong, Mousetail and Skystorm discovered that Mousetail was expecting Skystorm's kits. They were just waiting for the perfect time to let the rest of the Clan know. It would be an amazing time for the Clan, considering that no new members of the Clan had been introduced in a long time.

     Mousetail felt a huge thrill of excitement at the prospect of being the mother of a litter of kits. She was even more excited when she felt the kits moving around inside her. Like now. She looked up at Skystorm with excitement and love. "We should tell them today," she told him.

     Skystorm's green eyes gleamed as though in answer. "Perfect."

     "Tell who what?" Cloudsky had just left the medicine den after seeing Frozenfang, and now he was strolling toward Skystorm and Mousetail. "Whispering in public spaces is very rude, you know," he teased.

     Skystorm flicked his tail dismissively, glancing at Mousetail quickly. "We know. Mousetail is expecting my kits. We're just waiting for the right time to tell everyone."

     Cloudsky's eyes widened in surprise. "Wow. Congratulations. This is a really big time for all of us. Why don't you tell everyone now?"

     Mousetail really didn't want to admit the real reason she didn't want to tell everyone yet. She knew that sometimes kits didn't survive for a long time after they were born, and if that happened to her kits when the entire Clan was expecting new warriors, she knew it would be devastating. "Well . . . this sounds silly, but I don't want to get everyone's hopes up, and then . . ." Oh, Mousetail, why are you so pessimistic all of a sudden? she thought. It's going to be fine!

     Cloudsky's expression softened. "Don't be so pessimistic," he mewed. "I'm sure it'll all be fine. Besides, why would StarClan let such a thing happen?"

     Did you read my mind?

     "Okay. Thanks, Cloudsky. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm just nervous because, well, I have a bunch of other little cats inside of me," she admitted, glancing at Skystorm, who had an affectionate glitter in his eyes. "I'll go tell Lynxstar if it makes you two toms happy."

     "Oh, more than happy," Skystorm responded. "Overjoyed."

     Mousetail purred and flicked her tail over his muzzle good-humoredly. "Alright, I'll go." She stood up and stretched, then with a glance at the two littermates, she headed to the waterfall. "Lynxstar?"