Chapter 04

Rain was gently falling outside my cabin window as I settled into the guest room. The cabin we stay at is part of my dad's family and is used by my relatives more often in the summer when the cool lake becomes a paradise against the heat. There were a total of four bedrooms in the building. One for my parents, another for my aunt and uncle, and the remaining two for me and my cousins to share. While each of the master suites had their own bathrooms, there was only one for me in the hallway to share if my relatives were here, along with a powder room downstairs.

My room didn't look anything like my room at home. The focal point was a canopy bed and two nightstands which each had a lamp on top of them. Above the bed was a landscape picture of the lake, painted by a local artist. The wall facing the rear of the house gave a view of the lake through a single dormer window with a built-in bench allowing a nice perch to sit in to admire the view. Along the wall opposite the bed was a dresser and a flat screen television mounted above it. Hardwood made up the flooring but it was cushioned by a large and soft white rug. No other real decoration was in the room outside of the standard wood planking found commonly with log cabins.

Placing my travel case on the bed, I fished out a pair of gray sweats and a hoodie to wear since I wasn't planning on doing much else with the rain. My parents had originally planned a family hike but that idea was snuffed out with the weather. While pulling out my clothes, a wolf plush came forward and fell out of the travel case and onto the bed. I took a moment to stare at the stuffed animal, looking at its lifeless beady eyes, before finally changing into the clothes I had pulled out.

"I'm sorry, Bleddyn," I say, turning the toy so that it would sit upright on the bed. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

The only reply was silence. Which, of course, was what I expected. It was just a toy after all. One that had been with me since I was little. Exactly when I got the stuffed animal I didn't know, but all my photos as a kid had him beside me or nearby. Perhaps it was because he was my favorite, but I felt guilty with the idea of leaving him at home when my family took the trip here to the cabin. Not to mention that soon I'd be having a life altering gift in the morning. It only felt right that he should be involved with me 'growing up'.

I moved my bag onto the floor, then grabbed Bleddyn into my arms and sprawled out on the bed. Staring at the ceiling, I thought more about how much my life was going to change from this point forward. Magic would be more tightly woven into my being. I'd have to begin looking into magic colleges and seeing which would be the best schools for me. And, most of all, I'd have to consider what it is I wanted to do with my life.

"Tomorrow, I become an adult in the mage world," I say to Bleddyn, holding his form high above me.

His reply, again, merely silence.

"It's okay," I say, comforting him. "You'll be here with me when I become the best mage in the world! I'll be able to use magic to a greater extent than I have been able to."

Just what kind of magic will you be able to use? I imagine him asking with an awe-filled voice.

"Well I'm glad you asked, sir wolf," I smirk at him. I turn to my side, bringing Bleddyn down to my level to rest beside me. "There are many schools of magic to grow an affinity to, and the one I want is evocation!"

What's that?

"It's a fancy way to say that I can conjure elements like fire and lightning! Can you see me hurling fireballs, wielding frost spears, or uprooting the earth?"

Wow, that's so cool! You'd make an amazing evocation mage!

"Oh, you think so too? Well, you flatter me, young pup!"