The Western Dream: Part 4

Night has passed and I don't think Lee could stop thinking about Isaac's attack. I could hear him pacing back and forth in his room, honestly I don't believe I got much sleep either. Changes around the ranch are going to be made, keeping a watchful eye on this place. 

I decided to head into town, for the sake of myself and Lee. He tends to like being alone when something angers him. With me, I took one of the dead chickens to show as proof. The soft sound of music poured out from the Saloon and I walked in. Grabbing a seat at the bar I ordered some whiskey and talked the bartender. 

"You or anyone else haven't seen Isaac around have ya?"

The bartender looked around," He came in a little while ago, didn't see him leave." 

I tipped the brim of my hat back, took a sip from the glass and looked around. The other men sitting at the tables looked at me and began whispering among themselves. I continued sipping on my drink when the entire Saloon filled with complete silence.

"I heard one of y'all were lookin' for me." The voice drawled.

I sat my glass down and looked besides me to see Isaac standing there with his hands shoved into the pockets of his coat. 

"What, no one got nothing to say?" He laughed.

I stood up and walked over to him til our faces met inches apart," I do." 

He showed a little grin.

"Listen here ya bastard," I tugged onto his jacket," I know it was you that came to our ranch last night and killed our chickens."

He looked around the room before answering," You've must be mistaken, I was here all night."

I grabbed the sack and pulled the chicken out, holding it up and showing it to everyone in the Saloon, then slamming it down onto the table. 

"I saw you Isaac, you killed half of our supply of chickens," I groaned.

"And maybe it wasn't me, you must got coyotes." He rolled his eyes," They're fairly popular around here."

"The only coyote in this town is you," I yelled hitting him in the face knocking him to the ground. 

He wiped his blood running nose with his arm and then looked up at me with the smirk of evil. He got back up and threw a fist at me," You're going to wish you never said that." 

We swung at each other a couple times and then the bartender came over to break up the fight. I grabbed the sack with the chicken giving Isaac one more glare and then stumbled out of the saloon. I unhitched my horse from the post and headed back home. I looked behind me and in the doorway of the saloon Isaac was laughing.

"I'll be here waiting if you want to come back and settle this like a true man!"

I rolled my eyes and kept on riding. When I returned home, Lee was out in the yard fixing the things that where damaged. I slid out of the saddle and my head was pounding, my jacket and shirt stained with blood. Lee put down his tools and helped me into the house. I sat down at the table and Lee poured me a glass of water.

"What happened to you?" He asked sliding the glass over.

Taking a sip," I brought one of the dead chickens to the saloon to find the person who caused this and ended up in a fight with Isaac."

Lee grumbled," Just let the situation go Joshua."

"No!" I yelled," I know it was him, but he acted in front of everyone that he didn't do it and blamed it on coyotes. I threw the first punch."

Lee started heading back outside.

"Where are you going? Why do you have to be so stubborn about this?"

"I don't know what else we can do about this. Things happen."

"I won't let that happen."

We went our separate ways, I went into my room and took out my journal.

October 13th 1875

Isaac and I got into a fight at the saloon today over the dead chickens. I'm afraid I now know what else he is capable of doing. My plan of action to end this madness will have to go into full force. Lee is being Lee, his old stubborn self won't realize that Isaac will not get away with this.  I am going to spend the rest of the night creating such plan. 

I will not be defeated by this coyote. 

Joshua R.