The Western Dream: Part 5

Lee was still in a mood and I let him be, I got enough on my plate with Isaac that I didn't need to be fightin' with Lee as well. I got on my horse and Lee was fumbling around with the chicken coop, he looked up at me, shrugged his shoulders and carried on with his business. I didn't tell him where I was off to. I followed the road path that lead to town and then made a slight left, riding to the hills that overlooked Isaac's ranch, I stopped my horse and dug my binoculars out of the bag. I looked through them and watched Isaac, he was walking around the cattle pen. Those animals looked sickly, he was throwing his arms in the air and giving them a hard time. Isaac just doesn't treat humans badly, but animals as well. Wouldn't surprise me in the least after what he did to our chickens. A rancher should always take pride in his ranch and animals and Isaac was showing more of his true colors, a coyote. I have seen enough and rode back towards town. 

I stopped at the general store to pick up some more paper and ink, the ideas of my plan racing through my head. After paying for my things, I walked across the dirt path to the post office. 

"Ahh good morning Mr. Rankins," Mr. Anderson the postman cheered.

"Morn' do I have any mail by chance?"

"Hmmm let me check," Anderson spoke as he turned around the mail slots behind him.

A moment later and he came back with a single letter in his hand.

"Here you go," He handed me the letter.

"Thanks," I said taking the letter and leaving the post office.

"You're welcome and have a nice day," He said as he leaned over the counter.

As I walked back to my horse I looked down at the letter to see who it was from and it was in fact from my sister, Amalie. 

**************************************

I sat at my desk in my room and started to read Amalie's letter.

My dearest brother, 

Words can not describe on how much I miss you so. It is quite a strange story on how I managed to find where you're at. My husband is related to a man out there by the name of Isaac, I am not sure if you know him. Anyway, I hope all is well with you. Everything is going good back here at home, I suppose. We rode pass the old house the other day and the condition it is in makes my heart sad. Owen and the children want to fix it up and make sure it stays in the family. Our farm is growing beautifully, I'm sure you and Pa would be so proud. The children love helping as much as they can and it reminds me of how you and me used to be, helping Pa while he was still home and off at war. Well my brother,  I hope to hear from you soon.

All my love,

Amalie

P.S. I'm taking the next available train and hope to come to your town by next week.

I dropped the letter down, closed my eyes and took a couple of deep breathes. That horrible coyote, that evil and joke of a man is part of the family.