chapter twenty-one: your child

"I know...where your daughter is. Pui Jiaying. That's your daughter's Chinese name.", Jungkook revealed to Chaeyoung.

He showed her the information he gathered on his phone about Haneul to her. She took the phone and looked at the information on it.

"Yoongi hyung's friend helped me to get this information about Haneul. According to the document pictures, they are her birth certificates. The top one is Korea's certificate, and below it is China's certificate. It seemed that their family made her a China's one after they moved there. Hyung's friend tried to search for Haneul, but there were no trace until they searched up her Chinese name. The rest that was found was from her school website and some pictures secretly taken there.", he explained while Chaeyoung scrolled through his phone.

"Are these pictures taken recently?", Chaeyoung asked.

He nodded.

"She looked unhappy.", Chaeyoung said as she zoomed in to the pictures.

Jungkook cleared his throat before saying, "She just lost her grandma. Chanyeol's mother."

"She's close with her grandma?", Chaeyoung asked.

"Apparently, she was in her grandma's care all the while they lived there. She was estranged with Chanyeol and his new family.", he told her.

Her eyes widened at the news, "What? Then, who's been taking care of her now?"

Jungkook shook his head, "Yoongi hyung said his friend is still trying to find out about it. We'll know soon."

"I have to talk to Chanyeol.", Chaeyoung said.

"No, Chaeyoung. Don't. No, not yet.", he replied sternly.

"Why not? He must've been the one who knows where Haneul is right now.", she frowned at Jungkook, she did not understand why he told her not to talk to Chanyeol.

Jungkook let out a small sigh as if he felt guilty to say, "Right now, the information I got about her whereabouts is still unconfirmed, Chaeyoung."

"Where is she? If you don't want me to call Chanyeol, please...tell me everything you know.", she asked him.

He slowly nodded, "A place called Fenli Forever Home. She's...in an orphanage."

Chaeyoung's eyes widened, "What?! Orphan- why-"

Her legs went weak, and she sank to the ground, almost fainting at the news Jungkook broke to her.

"Chaeyoung!", he crouched down to hold her arms, preventing her from any harm.

"Jungkook...why..? She has me, her mother...she's not supposed to be in that place...", Chaeyoung said as her tears streamed down her face.

"I told you..it's still unconfirmed. She could be somewhere else-"

"This is all my fault. I should have taken care of her, I should have been stronger when she was sick, I should...I should be there for my daughter, Jungkook...", Chaeyoung was crying as Jungkook pulled her, letting her let out her tears on his shoulder.

He gently patted her back, trying to comfort her.

"What should I do, Jungkook? How- how can I get my daughter back?", she asked in between tears.

Jungkook wished he could answer the question right away but he needed to be sure before he said anything. He did not want to give another shocking news to Chaeyoung about her daughter. He hoped that Yoongi's friend would give him the latest news soon so he would know what to say to Chaeyoung.

"If we- if we ask Chanyeol, do you think...he will allow me to meet Haneul?", Chaeyoung asked.

"I hate to say this, Chaeyoung but right now, we should wait. Please...give me a little more time before the information I got is confirmed.", he said to her.