Chapter 3: 7am

Jay stood there and looked at everyone, all these faces were looking at him, they all stopped what they were doing and wondered what was going on.

"What's going on Jay?" asked Julio, who was the supervisor of one of the assembly lines, he was talking to one of his employees when Jay suddenly showed up and shouted at everyone.

"You all have got to get out of here!" Jay screamed at Julio, and then turned to other people, "Hurry! Before it's too late!"

As soon as he said it, Lupe heard another explosion, it was much closer this time, even the lights were flickering. Lupe didn't have time to think about what happened to Jay, she pulled out her phone and tried to find any news, just like everyone else. It was seven O'clock, her mom must be on the way to send Manny to kindergarten, she started to worry.

No news updated on the phone, there were people on Facebook asking about where the explosion was from, but it seemed like no one knew. She looked around, people started making phone calls, no one was at work, she dialed her mom's phone right away.

"Hey mom, where are you?" asked Lupe.

"I just dropped off Manny, why?" Her mom then added, "you sound weird."

"Didn't you hear the explosion? I am worried. Something is going on." Lupe voice started to shake.

"Don't be overdramatic Lupe, I don't see anything unusual. I trust my feelings more than the news. I told you to spend less time on your phone."

"Ma, they didn't say anything on the news. My boss just yelled at everyone and said we had to leave. I am telling you something is off."

"Your boss is just...". She lost connection before her mom finished talking.

"Beep, beep, beep......" She tried to call her back but there was still no signal, Lupe worried so much that she almost started crying. The sounds of sirens were everywhere, now everyone seemed to start panicking.

"Hey guys," a coworker started yelling while holding his phone, "My brother is a cop, he told me to get out of the factory as soon as possible!"

Now everyone started to run, some of them screamed, like they finally woke up from a long nightmare. Lupe grabbed her bag and ran with the others; someone was pushing her from the back and almost made her fall. Jay was standing by the door and yelling "Don't stay by the door, run to your cars!" When Lupe passed him, she looked at him and found he was also looking at her, but they didn't say anything.

When Lupe finally got in her car, she noticed her phone didn't have any signal, and then it was when she found out she couldn't even start her car that she started feeling the real panic. She looked around the parking lot and saw many people also got out of their cars. Suddenly a hand slapped on her window, she turned around and saw it was Daniella.

"Lupe, is your phone working?" asked Daniella, Lupe could tell she was having a panic attack.

"No, mine also stopped working. I don't think there is signal now." She got out of her car and showed Daniella her phone.

"Did you try to start your car yet? I can't even start my car." asked Lupe.

"I can't either, I don't think anyone can." Daniella said while looking around. The sounds of car honking were everywhere.

"Come, let's walk home, thank God we don't live far." Said Lupe.

"What do you think is happening?" asked Daniella nervously.

"Who knows, I just want to go get Manny, he is still at school. I was on the phone with my mom when the service got cut out."

Daniella held her arm tightly while they were walking out of the parking lot, just like everyone else. The sun came out and the sunshine warmed up everyone a little bit. When they walked out of the parking lot, they realized the streets were full of pedestrians. They heard people yelling at each other, kids crying, and windows broken. Lupe didn't want to think too much, she told Daniella they needed to walk faster.

"You knew this is the end."

Lupe realized the voice was familiar, but she didn't want to stop as she thought some crazy guy was talking.

"Hey Jay!" screamed Daniella. Lupe couldn't believe what she just heard and turned around, then she saw Jay was right behind them.

"Hey, I didn't know your home is this way too." Daniella sounded surprised.

"I am not going back to my home," Jay didn't keep walking, he said, "I just want to let you know that I am sorry." He stared at Lupe when he said it. Lupe looked at him calmly and then she asked, "Sorry for what?"

"Hey Jay, why did you ask us to get out of the factory earlier?" asked Daniella.

"Because of this." Jay answered her question.

As soon as he said it, they heard a loud explosion sound from the direction of the factory, then think more billowed straight into the sky.

"Did you...?" Danielle asked Jay, she didn't dare to finish her question.

"I am sorry." Jay started to cry. Lupe looked at him and a strange mixed feeling surged through her stomach, she wanted to give him a hug to comfort him, but meanwhile she also felt he was acting ridiculously.

"What are you talking about?" Daniella continued to ask.

"I am sorry, I must go now. I just wanted to apologize to Lupe. I am sorry, I don't have much time left." As soon as he said it, he ran in the other direction and soon disappeared among the people on the street.

"He is so weird today." Said Daniella.

"Indeed." Added Lupe.