CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: House of Memories

Glace hopped into a van with the others, bound for Duchessteps, a town in the Kingdom of Brighia where Edu resided. They traveled down a cobblestone street lined with houses and small local shops.

He noticed the quaint blend of past and present in the streets, with horse-drawn vehicles continuing to linger amidst the increasing presence of modern buses, cars, and vans.

Suspended above them were blue and white streamers. Glace recognized the motif of a blue and silver dragon printed on the streamers—the same one painted on the ceiling of the secret room he had found in the library. It also reminded him of the dragon-shaped door handle in that very room.

"What's with the streamers?" he asked.

"They're part of the street decor," Edu explained. "But that dragon you see is the emblem of our kingdom."

They arrived at Edu's place. His house was separated from the neighboring property by a grassy area with trees, making the street quiet and peaceful with only the sounds of nature. Edu's house was a spacious cabin, even bigger than the one he had in the naychant's realm.

A fence surrounded his garden, filled with plants. The leaves came in shades of green, yellow, and orange, while the flowers bloomed in violet, orange, and white. It was a beautiful scene—not overly fancy, but pleasant and serene.

"You've got flowers," Leighra said.

"There's more around the back," Edu mentioned as they walked into his yard.

Inside, the house was simple. Edu and Mr. Bell opened all the windows, letting in the bright sunlight. As they all settled on the sofa in the living room, a cool breeze flowed through the open windows.

"How are we supposed to go to school if we don't have anything?" Raven asked. "We don't have parents to support us, especially Seren and me."

"No need to worry about that," Mr. Bell said. "Despite our lack of trust in the king, the kingdom has a rule that ensures all orphans can have normal lives, just like kids with parents. You'll stay in this house with other orphans, and the adults who work there will take care of you, like parents."

"So, it's like an orphanage," Raven stated.

"Not exactly," Mr. Bell explained. "It's a little different, kid. Yes, it's similar to an orphanage but better. They provide everything you need. You won't have to worry about money or other essential things. You won't have to wait for donations or rely on people's help. Everyone there has their own money, and the staff will give you whatever you need without hesitation until you're old enough to leave and support yourself."

"Do we have to do chores?" Raven asked.

"Yep, definitely," Mr. Bell replied. "There are a few rules and chores to help you become responsible, even without parents. It's all part of the deal."

Raven sighed in frustration. "But I don't want to live in an orphanage again, in any realm."

"You don't have to go there daily," Mr. Bell reassured him, sitting beside Raven. Glace watched and thought Mr. Bell had the potential to be a good father, just like his own dad, Arthur. "Students can go back home during the summertime and holidays. You'll spend more time at school than at home. Living at home isn't mandatory. It's always open for you whenever you choose to return, as long as you're on the list of orphaned young enchants who receive support."

"So, I can stay here if I want?"

"Absolutely," Edu said. "My door is always open for all of you. But you still need to go back, or else they'll come looking for you unless you get adopted."