CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: Fire

If it weren't for the strict teacher, Leonardo De Luca, Latin class could have been fun. When he walked in, everyone hushed. The students mentioned that he wasn't the kind of professor you'd want to be friends with. It seemed like he didn't like being around kids, or maybe he just didn't enjoy their company.

"I want to know your names," he said. He looked old, perhaps a bit older than Ms. Sudworth. He had brown facial hair and curly hair, and he almost looked like a Roman sculpture that Glace had seen. However, he appeared more like a Pilate than a Jupiter. Glace thought Pilate was the better comparison. He had a crooked nose and eyes that seemed to judge everyone he saw. He didn't even smile as he walked in. "Let's start in the front row."

Glace sat with Raven, with Ivan and Paul close behind. Seren and Leighra decided to sit in the front seats.

"So I heard," Raven muttered next to Glace.

"Heard what?"

"The talk about you," he said. "Man, isn't it surprising? People thought–"

"You might as well share your gossip, boys at the back," the teacher interjected. "I'll give you the time; come on. You may stand here in front of your classmates."

Raven fell silent, and Glace felt embarrassed. Glace knew he should have stayed quiet, but Raven's constant talking made it impossible to ignore him. To avoid the situation, Glace focused on his desk and read the carved words, "Curse the teacher in front of you."

"What are you talking about?" the professor asked.

Glace replied, "Nothing, sir," but his voice was barely audible.

The professor stared at him as if trying to memorize his features. He nodded and sneered. "What's your name, mister? Let's start with you and your friend."

Glace was convinced that the professor was addressing him, but Raven stood up first. "Sir, I'm Raven Castillo."

Leonardo De Luca sat down, crossing one leg over the other. "Tell us what you enjoy, your hobbies, or whatever you like."

Raven smiled and glanced around the room. "I love music. I play piano and guitar, and I like to have fun," Raven added.

Glace wasn't sure if he was being honest. Raven had never mentioned music before, and Glace couldn't picture him playing the piano.

"My name is Glace," Glace said. He debated whether or not to say his full name. He hoped the students would not gossip about him this time. "Glacier Frost. I like to read and draw. I also enjoy riding my bike with my friends back in the Naychant's realm."

"Well," the teacher said. "I'm hoping your mouth will prove useful when I ask questions in the future."

Students from the front started introducing themselves until it was Seren's turn.

"Please state your name and what you enjoy doing—your hobbies and whatever strange things you enjoy—anything."

"I'm Seren," she said.

"Say it louder, kid. This isn't a whispering contest."

"My name is Seren Ailes," Seren said. "Um, I read--I enjoy reading and writing poetry. I also appreciate silence. There are times when I just want to be alone."

"Then why are you here?" Mr. De Luca questioned, eliciting snickers from the other kids.

"What?"

"Why are you here if you prefer solitude?"