Chapter 3 - Navigating Westwood's Social Minefield

Faye : 

I crept through the front door, praying that the creaking of the front door wouldn't give me away. The clock on the wall mocked me with its early morning glow—it was far too late to be returning home. As I tiptoed down the hallway, my heart pounded in my chest.

Just as I reached the staircase, a voice cut through the silence.

"Faye?"

I froze, turning slowly to face Lincoln, my stepbrother. His expression was a mix of surprise and suspicion, but strangely, "fuck" I let the word out by mistake, he was the last person who needed to see me right now.

"Where are you coming from" he asked, his arms crossed over his chest.

I tried to come up with a plausible excuse, but the truth spilled out before I could stop it. "I...I."

His eyes narrowed, but then something unexpected happened. "Well, whatever not my problem" he just grumbled. Not the with usual hostility I was accustomed to. He was different somehow— less grumpy I suppose, even if there was still a hint of tension in his voice.

Relief washed over me, followed by a wave of confusion. Lincoln had never been one to let me off the hook so easily.

"Thanks," I mumbled, unsure of how to respond.

We stood there for a moment, awkwardness hanging in the air like a thick fog. Then, to my surprise, Lincoln spoke again, his tone softer this time.

"Look, Faye, I know we haven't exactly gotten along in the past," he began, his voice tinged with an unfamiliar vulnerability. "But maybe it's time we call a truce."

I blinked, taken aback by his sudden change in demeanor. "A truce?"

He nodded, a small, hesitant smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Yeah. And...I'm sorry for how I've treated you before. It wasn't fair."

I felt a lump form in my throat. I had never expected an apology from Lincoln, let alone an offer of peace. But as I looked into his eyes, I saw a sincerity that I couldn't ignore.

"Okay," I said quietly, the tension between us easing slightly. "Truce."

We stood there for a moment longer, and with an awkward wave I walked back to my room, mulling over the conversation i just had with my stepbrother who seemed to be coming to terms with me staying here. Huh, maybe I can survive my senior year. 

The rest of my day goes on uneventful, I see my mom when i go downstairs for lunch and she tells me my uniforms been delivered. "Uniform?" I repeat.

"Yea Westwood has a uniform, i know its new to you but i hope you'll try to make friends and fit in here Faye." She says with a smile. She seemed to be doing that a lot these days -- Smiling.

"Yeah um sure" thats all i say as I head up to my room to check out my uniform, which is place in a blue box on my bed. I tumble the contents out as I look at a Navy blue skirt, White shirt and blue tie. Fuck I'm gonna look like those preppy kids. 

"Not what you expected ?" a deep voice comes from behind me.

"Lincoln you scared the fuck out of me" is all i say as I look at him.

"Sorry sis, just dropped by to ask if you wanted pizza, the adults are out and i aint in the mood to get something made."

"Pizza?" 

"Yeah, its this dish made with dough and has sauce, cheese and meat or other stuff on it"

"I know what a Pizza is moron" i say rolling my eyes.