Maid

Slave Maid Witch Queen

Entry 2: Maid

O.O.O

Wherein a young maiden works dutifully and hopes to attract the Prince's attention

O.O.O

RING! RING!

Beryl groaned as she rolled over and tried to silence the loud device. She remembered when she first arrived at Elysion and was absolutely fascinated by the device. A clock small enough to carry around and could be used to make sure she didn't oversleep. Nowhere on the planet did such a device exist. Now, years later, the clock was an annoyance but one she knew she couldn't live without. It allowed her to be diligent.

Sitting at the edge of her bed, Beryl scanned her surroundings. Her quarters were minimal but they were private at least. A single room with a bed, a dresser, and a bedside table were all she had in terms of furnishings. It was a simple existence, but she didn't mind especially when her job came with so many perks.

Getting to her feet, Beryl changed from her sleepwear into her maid uniform, washed her face in a basin on her dresser, and combed her hair. As she brushed, her gaze drifted toward above the door to her room where the large branch was mounted she had used when she fled from the slave caravan. Nephrite had insisted she keep it with her, calling it her "good luck charm." Beryl smiled at the memory as she finished brushing the knots from her red mane.

Once she was finished, she slipped on her shoes and made a beeline for the royal palace's kitchen. There she indulged in one of the perks of the job: Free food. Sure the staff was rationed food so they were never starving, but as one of the maids she was offered a fresh roll as soon as it came out of the oven. She only took one as if her plan regarding her duties worked out properly she would want a more empty stomach.

As she ate her breakfast, Beryl noticed some familiar faces enter the kitchen.

"Good morning Catherine, Victoria, and...," Beryl stopped herself as she noticed one of the usual trio was absent. "Where is Anastasia?"

"She's serving the crown in another way if you get my meaning." Catherine snickered, a cat-like smile on the young maid's face. The pun was not lost on Veryl and she knew exactly what it meant. Anastasia caught the lecherous gaze of King Aethluis and had spent the night in his bed.

"Shouldn't you be angry about this Catherine?" Beryl wondered, arching her brow at her associate. "I mean didn't you share the King's bed last week?"

"You have to understand the situation," Catherine reminded Beryl with a shrug. "By laying with the King you have the possibility of bearing his child. Such an honor would come with perks."

"I understand the concept but," Beryl struggled to find the right words. "It just seems so...debatrous."

"I'm sure you would be singing another tune if the Prince invited you to his bed."

Beryl's body tensed at the declaration. She turned and saw Sara had arrived in the kitchen. Sara had made it known a long time ago she detested Beryl and always made a point of throwing around insults whenever possible.

"Of course for that to happen the Prince would have to enjoy the company of women," Sara added, malice in her eyes. "And we all know he prefers books in his bed over a female."

"How dare you?" Beryl fumed, clenching her fists and crushing the last of her roll. "The Prince is..."

"Attention all!" A voice shouted as she entered the kitchen and slammed her walking stick down in the process. The sound was familiar to all who were present as it marked the arrival of the head of the kitchen. Mauve of the town of East Eye, or Blind Mauve who had been running the kitchen of the Elysion Palace for close to 30 years. One of the first accomplishments with this title had been the successful planning and execution of the royal wedding between King Aethluis and the late Queen Calyce. Despite her vision impairment, she knew hundreds of recipes, spoke five languages, and could smell bad ingredients from the other side of the room. When she spoke the rest of the kitchen staff knew to listen.