Chapter 2

Pete doesn't remember the exact moment he started caring for his employers more than he should as an employee. But in the following years, he realized that he cared for Vegas's and Macau's welfare more than he should as someone who was being paid to protect the brothers.

It started slowly and with simple things, like making sure Macau ate enough before going to school or secretly handing Vegas juice and soda when he was getting too much drink in the club.
Sometimes he would find himself asking Macau how was his day in school and the younger one would eagerly tell Pete all his shenanigans and they'd laugh it off with a bunch of snacks and video games afterward. Sometimes, he'd talk with Vegas about mundane things in life and they'd bump shoulders and snicker at childhood dreams and childish antics.

Later comes the paranoia about the brothers' safety, constantly checking Macau's whereabouts and calling Vegas's when he gets off the radar. They'd tease him about being such a mother hen but Pete stayed adamant about keeping both of them safe.
"I'd be dead if something happened to any of you," he would tell them but he knew deep down it was more than his duty wanting to keep them unharmed.
Somehow, Pete considers them his family. Even if he knows this might not be reciprocated. But he's fine with that. He has a roof above his head, good food, and he gets to serve people he doesn't hate, giving him a purpose. That's what all he can ask for.

So he stayed at the minor family mansion, doing his duties well and tending to the needs of his employers. Pete becomes the perfect help. A tutor when Macau is having a hard time with Math (going to school with Vegas and taking an interest in Mathematics had finally paid off), a friend when Vegas and Macau want to hang out and play games, a babysitter when the minor family visits the main family compound, and a ruthless bodyguard when Vegas needs a firm hand to teach lessons to the people who dared cross him.

"My perfect torture machine," Vegas would praise him, ruffling his hair and wiping the blood off his face. It should repulse him but Pete grew up without receiving praises and compliments that even this makes his chest swell with pride.

____________

"Does he have to be here?" Kinn's latest boytoy and soon-to-be Vegas' asks and Pete stops himself from rolling his eyes.

"Sweetheart, you understand that our clandestine meetings are dangerous. We can't have Kinn barge in here and shoot us all, can we? Pete here is keeping an eye out and keeping us safe," Vegas explains sweetly, if Pete hadn't known better, he'd believe Vegas wasn't capable of breaking glass. The guy grumbled but eventually accepted the fact that Pete wasn't going anywhere and something inside of him revels at the fact that somehow, he was indispensable, unlike these guys who come and go.

____________

"Khun Vegas, I don't think this is a good idea," Pete says warily.

"You're such a buzz kill, Pete. I'm sure Kinn wouldn't notice. He's busy with the guest," his boss reasoned and gave him a goofy smile. In other circumstances, he might return the smile but tonight was different. It was Kinn's engagement party and they were on a yacht. But Vegas seemed to think that banging Kinn's soon-to-be fiance Tawan, a good idea.

"But he'll notice if Tawan goes missing!" He nearly hissed at his boss who was starting to also get annoyed.

"That's why you're here. You're going to keep me safe." Vegas grinned as he made his way to Tawan who was drinking a glass of wine in the corner, clearly waiting for Vegas to come. Pete wanted to pull his hair out because of frustration and he somehow felt bad for Kinn for having a cheating boyfriend. Despite the cousins' rivalry and the man being insufferable sometimes, Pete still believes he doesn't deserve this.

It took exactly 30 minutes when Kinn finally noticed Tawan's absence and it was Pete's cue to alert Vegas about it. With rapid steps, he quickly went to the room where he saw them go in and pound at the door like crazy.

"Khun Vegas!" He calls multiple times but no answers except for the occasional moans and groans and Pete wants to bang his head at the door. He wants to cry at the frustration and fear that Vegas might get hurt if Kinn finds out. Screw Tawan but Vegas is his charge. He promised Macau to protect Vegas and he can't face the kid if ever his cousin decides to shoot his brother in the head because he slept with his fiance.

"Pete?" He was startled by the voice and when he turned around to see Kinn, he tried all his might to stop shaking. Damn Vegas and Tawan's horniness. Screw Vegas and his recklessness.

"Khun Kinn," he greeted and bowed, silently praying that the older man wouldn't notice the tremor in his voice and the shameless activity going on on the other side of the door.

"What are you doing here? Have you seen Tawan? I've been looking for him."

"Uhm—ah, n-no Khun Kinn. I've never seen him," He answered trying not to stutter but failing. And if the gods are punishing him for lying, an audible moan comes out from the room and he's sure as hell that was Tawan's voice.

"Pete, what's going on in there?" Kinn steps forward and Pete blocks the path on instinct.

"Get out of the way, Pete," Kinn says as his eyes hardened, his voice laced with threat and violence.

"Khun Kinn, please. Let's just get out of here. It's probably some people trying to have a good time." Pete practically begs and drags Kinn out of the place but Kinn remains unmoving. Before he could blink, Kinn was firing a gun at the door knob before kicking the door and storming in. Then all hell broke loose. Pete can't remember how they got on the deck of the yacht, he just found himself stopping Kinn from putting a bullet in Vegas' head as Tawan clung to his arms, clearly not expecting any of this to happen even if it's kind of given that they'll eventually get caught.