Chapter 2

The Canatre is a sort of rogue army under a vigilante group. The only thing that makes them special, is that nobody enlisted is human. Every member of every status is inhumane. Goblins, Vampires, Cryptids, Drydads, you name it. The reason this army exists is because of the Delere Licet. A governmental group solely dedicated to eradicating all "dirtied souls", as they claim. But almost all people with their brain screwed in know that it just means they're trying to rid the world of these "Ugly creatures." simply because they are different.

That is why Eon has been undercover for 23 years. If he were to attract too much attention, he'd be done for.

This isn't new, either. It has been a war raging on for centuries. Around 160 years at least.

The fact that a member of the Advena Canatre came for him alone is proof that he'd been found out. And he cannot stay for long.

"How do you know?" Eon looks up at Dune with his head lowered.

"The wind."

Eon's mind flashes back to that moment behind the alley. The breeze must have lifted his coat as soon as Dune happened to be walking by. He'd seen it before Eon realized. Thus, he took the sight to his advantage.

Eon shifts uncomfortably in his stance. Taking it means having to leave his only family behind: aunt Irine. Irine is the only person Eon knows and trusts in this cold world. He isn't sure just one day to say goodbye would suffice. He'd like to at least let her know before he considers anything.

"Why do you hesitate?" Dune inquires, cocking his head to the side slightly, narrowing his eyes.

"You know better than anyone else how dangerous it is for you here." Dune lowers his voice cautiously. He's right. Who knows what could happen to him? Best case scenario: Eon's wings would be ripped from his back and mounted in front of the castle gates in the center district as a warning. A warning to all of just how ruthless and dirty the Delere are willing to get. Then, he'd be publicly hung and left to prune dry in the air.

"How should I trust you?" Eon firmly asks, raising his head high. His guard is still as high as ever. If Dune is fooling him, he could end up with a fate worse than death.

Dune only looks at him with a challenging glare.

"Are you saying you think I came here just to pull you into a ruse? That I'm a human?" Dune contemptuously scoffs.

"Maybe." Eon says, shrugging nonchalantly.

The moment Eon blinked, Dune wasn't in front of him anymore

All of a sudden, Eon's arms are locked behind him. Dune slowly twists his hands behind his back. the joint in Eon's shoulder threatening to dislocate, just enough to cause pain but with minimal harm. Eon grits his teeth in both surprise and suffering.

It happened so fast, like nobody was even in front of him in the first place. Eon attempts to pull away from whatever clutched position he is in, but finds himself utterly powerless and locked. He cannot budge Dune a single inch.

Eon feels a breath down his neck, and lips at his ear.

"Take a guess." Dune whispers, tightening his grip. Red marks seeping into Eon's wrists.

"What am I?"

Eon's body is leaned forward at a merciless angle. If he were to lift one of his feet, his perpetrator could easily drop him by letting his limbs go.

Eon feels the hairs on his neck stand, goosebumps and shivers traveling over his arms like a myriad of spiders under his skin. It'd be noticeable if he weren't trembling. Eon begins losing feeling in his fingers.