Embracing change

"I found you in the darkness, I was bathed in the light

"I found you in the darkness, I was bathed in the light. You're my whole life, your smile and your voice."
- Enhypen

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Leaving your childhood home would be the most heartbreaking thing someone could go through. Well, that's what Jake would think while he sat in the backseat of a rented car with both his parents and a dazed-out Layla.

He sighed disheartenedly, which in reply, earned a sympathetic smile from his mom.

"Jaeyun, you're going to love it there. I mean, you'll be able to finally see your grandparents after God knows how long." His mom chorused excitedly, hoping to change Jake's sour mood for the better.

He recognised his mom's determination to uplift his mood (which honestly really didn't), but nevertheless gave her a gentle smile that she deemed was good enough for a change.

"And who knows, maybe you'll even meet your future wife." His stepdad piped in teasingly. However, all he got in return was a small, awkward chuckle from both his wife and Jake whose mood instantly fell.

Layla, who silently observed the interaction whilst being in Jake's lap, proceeded to give a small, wet lick onto his hand as if she could read the tense atmosphere and wanted to help give comfort.

His stepdad however, decided to worsen his nerves by carrying on.

"Your grandad knows a woman who has a beautiful daughter, maybe I can try and ask if she'll like to give you her number or something." Chuckling, he averts his gaze onto his wife, who, believe it or not, was staring daggers at the man.

Giving her a quick blank look before continuing to direct his attention on the road, he continued. "What? Did I say something wrong?"

She sighed. "Jaeyun has only turned nineteen. He's still young, and during dinner he told us both that he wants to focus on his education and not on his love life. You'd remember if you listened."

The conversation awkwardly ended after her statement, causing Jake to return to look out the window in order for his mind to focus on something other than acknowledging his stepdad's oblivious stares between him and his mom.

To cease the awkwardness, the man decided to turn on the radio.

✭・.・✫

The roads around them were all covered with farms and dull fields full of cattle. Jake, in the meantime, could faintly hear the country song from the radio playing in the background which had ultimately lulled him into falling asleep.

He blamed his tiredness from the emotional toll of leaving the amazing sunny weather and neighbourhoods full of BBQ's in Australia to live in a rainy, small town in the corners of Washington—much to his dismay.