The Final Exam - The Etoile Sword (1)

The past timeline - Three years before Ryoto and team rescues Aem and friends. ❤️ - represented by this symbol

The present timeline - Ryoto and team rescues Aem and friends. 🟥 - represented by this symbol

The future timeline - one year after Ryoto and team had rescued Aem and friends. ♦️ - represented by this symbol

***

[Location: Fujima's house
The past
Scene: the day after the announcement of the mid term results]-❤️

Konosa squinted his eyes at Miyazono, frustration etched across his face. "You're saying you have no idea how he wrote the final exams even though you guys are practically close childhood friends?"

"Can you trust me for once? I'm telling you, Senpai, I have no clue," Miyazono replied, her tone exasperated.

Konosa's frown deepened. "Just cut the crap. It's not possible that none of you know."

"Why do you have to make things so difficult?" Miyazono's voice was pleading now, the tension in the room palpable.

"I just want to know. As a teammate, shouldn't I know?" Konosa's voice was softer, but the edge of frustration remained.

"In that sense, I should know too, Senpai. And I don't. I'd love to ask someone too, you know."

"He came from somewhere, wrote the exam, got the first rank, and then disappeared. He didn't even attend the prize ceremony yesterday," Konosa pressed on, his disbelief clear.

"Because he is not here! Can you calm-" Miyazono's words were cut off by the sound of the front door opening.

"I'm home," Fujima announced, his voice carrying through the house. The tension in the room dissipated as everyone, including Konosa and Miyazono, walked out to greet him. Fujima handed a bag of fruits to Amash, then plodded across the corridor and into the hallroom, seating himself on the tatami mat with an air of peace. Amash had already prepared tea, and Fujima took a sip, savoring the warmth.

"So? How did you all do in the exams?" Fujima asked, his eyes twinkling with curiosity.

"Oh... I ranked fifth," Miyazono replied immediately, her voice filled with a mix of relief and pride.

"Rank seventh, Master," Remeni added. "And Oya ranked first." She glanced at Oya, who nodded politely in agreement.

"Wow. That's amazing. You girls passed with outstanding grades. Did you get your classes for the next semester yet?" Fujima's praise was heartfelt, bringing smiles to their faces.

"Not yet, Sensei," Oya replied on behalf of the group.

"Well, I'm proud of you three. It's nice to see you taking your academics seriously. Good job. Let's keep up this pace, okay?" Fujima's words of encouragement were met with excited nods and smiles.

"IEA?" Fujima then turned his attention to Konosa.

"Rank two," Konosa replied, his tone more subdued.

"That's amazing. You did well, Konosa. I'm happy for you," Fujima said warmly.

"Yeah... thanks, Sensei," Konosa mumbled, trying to muster a smile.

"Okay, well. Good job. And Remeshi?" Fujima continued.

"Rank one," Remeshi said with a shy smile.

"Hm? And you said you were nervous about the results because you were late."

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. But I guess I'm just that smart, Sensei. Not really getting a big head here though. I'm glad I'm a little smart. Otherwise, I could have really repeated a semester," Remeshi admitted, a hint of laughter in his voice.