Orpheus

You sat awake in your apartment, mindlessly scrolling. It was almost 2 am and you hadn't heard from Andrew in a few days. He was touring and busy and seemed very distracted so you had given him space. You never asked for much when it came to the relationship. You weren't married, he was famous, and you had your own shit to do. The benefit of dating since high school is that most men just wanted a mother and you weren't doing that anymore so it helped you set boundaries and expectations. Plus he was mature, but it had also been a while since he had a serious relationship so sometimes you felt a little alone. But tonight you were awake and feeling more than a little alone. You had texted him earlier because you knew he was in town for a show. His manager had reached out with information, but you had an event during showtime. Sleep came over your eyes when a buzz came from the living room intercom.

"Hello?"

"Miss there is a man requesting entrance to your penthouse from the elevator."

"What name did he give?" you replied to security.

"Orpheus, ma'am."

Your eyes lit up and you began to chew on your fingernails, "Send him up, thank you, Dan."

"Yes ma'am."

You hurried and changed into a sweater and some boxers before cramming the three minutes you had before he arrived to spot-clean the house.

You heard the ding and the elevator opened. You walked towards the hallway and there he was.

He looked like a mess, his clothes damp from the rain, his hair in a messy bun, and dark circles under his eyes. From his appearance most would say he had a long day but you knew it was a long week and his cab had just dropped him off here from a bar where he washed his doubts away for a few hours.

His cheeks flushed, but he didn't smile, "Hello love."

You ran and jumped around him, his arms finding the underneath of your legs to support you.

He sighed, "I missed you."

You laid your head on his shoulder, "I know Andrew."

He held you for a few moments and rocked slowly. No words were exchanged as you breathed him in. Finally, you got down and stood to make eye contact with him.

"What's going on," you asked and grabbed his hand while you led him to the couch.

Andrew sat and hunched over, his hands holding his head. He leaned back and then sighed at the ceiling.

"I have no idea, love."

You placed your hand on his arm and began to rub at his sleeve.

"That's okay."

He sighed again, "I'm sorry I haven't reached out, I have been in such an inexplicable state with myself and tour that I couldn't shed light on it by confessing to you."

"I understand, I just worried you wouldn't come back to me."

He leaned up and smiled, "I will always come back to you."

You smiled and he opened his arms against the cushions as if to say get in here.

You leaned against him and looked up, "You don't have to tell me why you ended up here or smell like booze," you laughed, "but you can do me a huge favor by taking a shower with me and letting me fix that awful hair."

He nodded and kissed your head.

You got up and led him to the bathroom where you both showered and you brushed his hair while using several curl products on him. You had them just in case he came home. You both ended up in the bed too tired for much else and he laid on your chest.

"Read to me, angel?" he looked up and asked so softly.

"Of course, any requests?"

"Something that has made you feel," he said simply.

So you read as he finally slept and rested his bones in the grave of your bed. You held him like it was your only goal in life. He could leave anytime, but you knew he would always come back. The stars themselves realigned to make a path for the love you shared.