Chapter 5: Palace Shadows

"Let's go. Today is our only chance to investigate," said Aria, swiftly turning towards her assigned room. Aria's brows furrowed, her lips pressed into a thin line, a clear sign of the tension she was feeling. She could feel the wind blowing, causing a small shard of hair to dance with it. 

She was on a mission.

The moon was hidden behind the clouds, casting long, menacing shadows that swallowed the palace grounds. Everyone had retired to their rooms after a long day, leaving only the assigned guards patrolling the palace. Aria and Manar trailed alongside each other like shadows, slightly bending down as they walked along the palace walls.

The palace gate was massive. Guards were patrolling everywhere, and the gates were illuminated by fire torches all over their height. The night was dim, but the area around the gate was well lit, making any intruder passing through visible. The guards were some of the finest in the Earth Kingdom, equipped with secret weapons and deadly magical swords.

"Princess, why not summon the Earth Spirit to get us through this barrier from under the earth?" suggested Manar.

"No, it's not an option. Do you see the green crown symbol on these guards' armor? They are not regular gatekeeper guards but Rencrown guards. The regular ones were replaced after the party. The Earth King is certainly being cautious," said Aria, contemplating the intentions of the Earth King.

"Yes, Your Highness, I also investigated. These Earth warriors are trained to observe even the slightest movement underneath the earth. It is to protect them from the natural disasters that the Earth Kingdom faces, but they can use it to track us too. We have to be cautious," continued Manar, "but what other option do we have?"

"We will go by air," said Aria, her eyes sparkling under the far-reaching light of the main gate as she turned to face Manar

"But won't they see us like that also?" Manar raised doubt.

"We will go through the back palace," said Aria.

"But it will take too long to travel to the back of the palace."

"Yes, but that's the safest. We may not be able to investigate much after spending time to travel to the back of the palace, but it's the safest. Right now, we can't afford to make any mistake. The Earth King's attitude has already changed, and I don't want to imagine the consequences if he discovers us," said Aria, thinking about today's banquet.

 Letting out a deep sigh, she continued, "He will get a reason to condemn us. I can't see my people immersed in years of war. What I want is peace," said Aria as she looked towards the clear sky. The air was fresh as she took a long breath and filled herself with more determination. "Let's go," commanded Aria as she marched towards the back palace.

The back palace was dark and dim. There were only long curtains hanging from the ceiling in the name of decoration and a few candles burning on the side. The part was least guarded, but the dangerous herbs that grew here kept the people away.

"Ha... we finally reached here," huffed Aria.