10

Jake eyed Heeseung one second, and dodged any intentions of talking to him the next. He walked past Heeseung and picked his phone up to see no missed calls. He relaxed internally, not knowing what Heeseung had in store for him.

Heeseung hesitated. His hair was tousled, falling over his eyes; the silver of his hair shone, giving away that he had bleached recently. He ran his hand through it and moved whatever strands blurred his vision. Then, he saw Jake laying on the bed with his phone in hand, beginning to scroll.

"Jake." His eyes found the other's in mere seconds.

Jake waited for what Heeseung had to say before turning to his phone again when Heeseung didn't utter a word. Heeseung, on the other hand, squeezed his eyes shut, tightly, for a few seconds. He opened and realized that he was still dizzy from sleep, but he ignored it nonetheless.

"Your family called." He blurted.

A bullet must have been slower than how Jake pivoted his head, shifting his weight on the bed completely, then standing up in front of Heeseung. But he decided that the little gap between them wasn't very pleasing, so he sat down on his bed. There must have been a possibility that Heeseung didn't answer and possibilities were his chance.

"Did you pick up?" Jake controlled every nerve in his body just not to burst out of fear and anger.

"I didn't, the first time." Just when his answer relaxed the muscles on Jake's face, Heeseung completed the rest of it. "But I did the second time."

Whatever control Jake had was lost, but he never put it to show. He was so calm, no one would imagine how pathetically he wanted to scream and rip apart every single wall of this room. He made a mistake. A big one. He could be dead any minute now. All this, just because he wasn't able to look his target into the eye because he was shy, embarrassed of his target finding out that he was staring while he slept his way through whatever dream he was having because he smiled and Jake could melt there. All this, just because he couldn't forget about a kiss.

He was ruined. Colour drained from his face. Assassins neither pray to God for safety nor do they hope not to die, because they know that it's of no use. But then, Jake found himself praying to whatever God might be listening, with eyes open and locked into Heeseung's.

"He said he was sorry for pissing you off and something about a father and targets," Heeseung paused to look at Jake, "and that he missed you."

Jake didn't speak. Jungwon. He told Heeseung everything. He was so angry at his brother right now, but it released some of his nerves knowing he wasn't the only one to blame. But, Heeseung had listened to what Jungwon had to say and he was doomed.

"Your brother, I suppose?" Heeseung questioned and Jake nodded. "He's a bit hasty. He didn't even wait for me to answer before hanging up."

Jake's stare sharpened at Heeseung. Heeseung didn't speak on the call and as long as he hadn't spoken, Jake could pretend like he was the one on call with Jungwon and not Heeseung, if the situation ever turned against him.

"He is." Jake faked a tight smile and Heeseung returned it, before he left for the bathroom.

After what felt like hours to Jake, Heeseung returned. He decided it wasn't quite the time for a discussion about targets and fathers, so he turned to his desk and dumped a book on it. When he took his seat, he wondered what targets Jake might have that even his brother knows about.

"Do you plan on topping exams?" Heeseung blurts while he breaks a chuckle. "Targets? Your brother said."

Jake was quiet, not really wanting to answer. If he did, he'd have to put effort into actually doing good in the Mock, which he absolutely didn't want. But remaining shut wasn't quite the right choice, so he thought.