Chapter Sixteen

"PUT ME DOWN!" The little voice shrieks.

It's coming from the nearby courtyard and I turn for the stone archway at full speed. The potted plants overflowing with greenery blur by, their leaves brushing against whitewashed stone walls as I run. A paved walkway winds its way through the maze of high sculpted bushes, leading towards fountains, statues, and a spacious sparkling pool.

The thick foliage obscures my view for a moment until I push through, and I see them - Prince Noadok and the little girl.

With brawny arms raised high above his head, the Prince tosses her up and down as light as a bag of apples, each time propelling her higher into the air. It's an effortless feat of balance and coordination, without so much as a sweat, she's back up, five feet above him, limbs dangling out as she tries doggy paddling through the air.

"Let me go!" The little girl's high pitched giggles echo.

Up. Up. Up.

She goes ten feet, then fifteen.

I feel my stomach lurch with hers when Noadok fakes a drop.

"Oh!" His speed is like nothing I have ever seen. She's inches from the ground, but then suddenly back in the safety of his arms and once again taking flight. With a couple spins and a powerful thrust, he releases her, and the wind whips through her hair as she flies across the entire courtyard.

My heart leaps into my throat.

But she pulls her limbs close together into a ball and lands perfectly into the deep end of the pool with a chorus of splashes. The little girl emerges from the water, sputtering and laughing, wet hair clinging to her face and eyes wide with exhilaration as she swims back as fast as her little limbs will take her.

"Again! Again!" she squeals, her voice filled with delight.

Prince Noadok's laughter bubbles as clear as a mountain stream, pure and refreshing. The girl's long hair, drenched and dripping, frames her beaming chubby face as she quickly waddles back to the prince.

He scoops her up once more and spins her around, "Put me down!" She laughs.

And Prince Noadok starts the tossing again.

Up. Up. Up.

Then she's soaring into the pool again with a joyful whoop as she resurfaces.

I watch from the edge of the courtyard, my initial fear melting away at the sight. My fingers twitch around the hilt of the dagger, hesitantly unclenching until my fist is back at my side.

The other children of the court gather to form a line, drawn in by the little girls' laughter, and each wait for their turn with Prince Noadok. He takes his time with them, lifting each up before launching them across the courtyard to land safety in the water. It's a flurry of motion, children squealing and splashing in the pool, Prince Noadok's figure spinning and tossing them inhumanly far. His large new silver necklace of geometric tassels jingles as he moves.

He's using just the right amount of strength, precision, and accuracy needed for the children to practically soar. They go as high up in the air I imagine they physically can without the drop hurting. Every child gets a different experience, the smaller, skinnier ones getting lighter tosses, while older, heavier children are hurled at the sky, every height, weight, and age perfectly calculated. My fingers tighten around the dagger's hilt once more as I try to swallow the lump in my throat. As gentle as he is with the children, I can't ignore the raw power evident in every motion. It's too easy to see the kind of abilities he has.

No wonder my father bowed.

His little time in our village has tanned him greatly. His clothing has changed too.