Chapter Eighteen

I CAN'T HELP but to steal glances at the pendant as I walk. Time seems to stand still at every glimpse. The two serpents practically come alive, their golden scales glinting under the warm sunlight, their sleek bodies twisting around the myriad of jewels.

How can I trade away something so beautiful?

I nearly walk head on into a rush of children bounding by, so enamored by the jewels. I just barely swivel my hips around them and give a sorrowful smile back before covering the pendant with my hands.

Maybe that'll help me focus.

The narrow cobblestone streets are now fully awake with activity as I make my way, heading deeper through the crowd. There's a sense of anticipation in the atmosphere, excited hushes and impatient whispers. Word has gotten out of Prince Noadok's arrival, and it seems that everyone is eager for dinner with royalty.

But why is he staying? What purpose will the feast serve?

I shake my head, trying to gather my thoughts of our conversation.

Knowledge is power.

I remember the words of the prince again.

But what knowledge does he mean specifically?

What do I need to know?

Had he even answered any of my questions? I feel like I know even less.

A long sigh escapes my nostrils, cooling off the sweat gathering by my upper lip.

What I do know, is that Prince Noadok seems rather certain my father is leaving with him for a quest to kill a beast.

My steps come slower, almost hesitant. Involuntarily, I drag them, like my sandals have been tied to rocks. The pendant's shape has become ingrained within my palms. I don't dare to look again, but the gold within my clasped fingers burns hot. I can't tell if it's really happening, or I'm imagining it as an excuse to look. I grip tighter, and a tingling sensation runs up my arm.

When finally I make the turn to approach the jeweler's, I falter, almost as if caught in an invisible spider's web.

Hidden away and displayed inside our jewelers is the most massive assortment of precious gemstones and ornate accessories I've previously seen, but all of them combined will seem dull compared to the prince's pendant. Compared to the prince's anything really. Even his teeth seem a shade whiter than the jewelers pearls. I square my shoulders, gaining every sense of conviction I have, ready to trade away the pendant that feels like it's become permanently seared into my skin. Letting go of the pendant with one hand, I reach for the entrance and tug.

And tug.

And tug?

It's... locked?

My curiosity forgets the pendants beauty, and I cup my hands to peer into the glass and see the entire building has been cleared out. My gasp of confusion fogs up the glass.

"Jeweler left this afternoon, honey."

A woman's voice spooks me into standing back up straight.

"On short notice," one of our butchers, I realize, momentarily stepping out of her shop. Agnes, I recall, continues, her voice tinged with sympathy as she wipes her hands on her leather apron. "Bunch of families came through this morning and bought out all his wares. Lots of folks left with 'em actually. Said a wealthy prince in town had given away his belongings. Who knows why? Guess the Emperor has new clothes."

"So there's no more jeweler? He just... left?"

"Sure did!" Agnes laughs so hard she goes red in the face, swatting at her belly. "With that kind of wealth anybody would head for the city."