Chapter 1 - Avoidance

Author's Note:

Credit goes to @x_luminous_x for the amazing cover! Check out their profile for a graphics shop if you're interested in their work!

Welcome to A Void Shaped Like You. I hope you enjoy!

-Pix

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This book is dedicated to A. Your support means the world to me. I know things have been difficult for you and I know it's hard for you to read this, but I'm incredibly grateful you supported me on this journey. You are a shining light for me and my family. Never forget that.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ Javier ~ ~

~ ~ Javier ~ ~

All my life, I dreamed and envisioned how I would find my soulmate. Where we would be, what we would say to each other, and what he would look like. All of this would come to fruition from the moment I entered his coffee shop.

The morning was a dreary one. The clouds covered the sun like a curtain, and the autumn wind was chilly, leading fallen leaves in a swaying dance through the air. Even though the morning hadn't been going according to plan from the moment I slept past my alarm, I had to stop to admire the breeze, smell the air, and feel the wind through my dark hair.

The moment didn't last long.

I was on my way to work, like any Monday morning. The Dunstead City traffic was almost unbearable, and I was starting to lose patience. I'm not an angry person by any means, and I often look for the silver lining before I jump to rage. But I swear, bad drivers are put in this world to make me contradict that.

Of course, when I made it to my usual coffee shop, it was closed. There was a sign in the front window with big red lettering that read going out of business. With a heavy sigh and much less patience than before, I quickly pulled out my phone to find the nearest cafe. There was one called Magnolia Cafe located just around the block, so I left my car parked in front of the now shut down place I used to go to, and started walking.

The cafe soon came into view and I quickly slipped inside. I had no time to waste and I'd soon be late for work.

The first thing I noticed when I went inside was the scent hanging in the air. This was nothing like what I'd ever experienced before. It smelled like rain with a hint of pine. I knew what it meant. I had been waiting my entire life to catch that scent. It made me appreciate living that much more.

As I sniffed the air looking for the source of rain and pine, I made eye contact with a man standing behind the counter. His eyes widened with fear and his face lost color. He must have realized we were soulmates, his frozen body urging itself back into motion. He backed away from the counter and quickly walked into the back room. He disappeared behind a door marked only for employees, leaving me confused and a little upset.