Chapter 2

Gabby and Matt had been on leave for the past 4 weeks since their son was born. Overall, Jayden is an easy baby. He would only cry when he was hungry and he slept throughout the night. Gabby still chose to wake him up twice in the middle of the night to feed him anyway.

Kelly and Stella had been back to work for 2 weeks. Easton was a bit harder than Jayden, but he isn't terrible. He was often very clingy to Stella. Gabby offered to watch Easton until her maternity leave is up and then Cindy would take the boys during shift.

It is a warm day in Chicago, Gabby hadn't been out of the house with both of the kids yet. She and Stella made plans to take the kids to the park for a couple of hours. Kelly was out working with Matt at some construction gig that Gabby told him to accept. Brett had moved back to Indiana a couple weeks ago, so Violet had been riding it out with a floater for the past few shifts.

Stella- "I don't know if you heard, but we are getting a new paramedic and firefighter." she stated as she sat at the picnic table with Gabby.

Gabby- "Do you know anything about them? Their names?"

Stella- "No information. Just that it's one female. She is a paramedic and firefighter in Seattle."

Gabby- "When does she start?"

Stella- "Either the day you come back to work or the shift after."

"Mommy!" Brooklyn shouted from the monkey bars.

Stella- "What baby?"

Brooklyn- "I'm stuck, I need help!"

Gabby- "I got the babies. Go help her" she chuckled.

After 2 hours of playing at the park, they took the kids back to Stella's house where the guys were waiting. They had invited the Chief and his wife to bring Terrance over to play with the kids while the parents watch the Blackhawks game. As Wallace and Donna arrived with their son, Kelly was finishing up with making sandwiches for everyone while Matt was setting chips in a bowl.

Chief- "You ready to get back?" he asked.

Gabby- "Sure am chief, but i'm gonna miss my baby"

Chief- "You should have seen Kidd on her first day back. She was hovering around the house all day debating if she wanted to go home or not." he chuckled.

Kelly- "She was! I had to make her run drills with squad to distract her."

It was around 7pm when everyone started heading home. It was a great day, Gabby was finally able to get out of the house for some fresh air and the Blackhawks won.

****
The last time Violet had seen her mom was before she started dating Blake. Her mother knew something was bound to happen, but never pried on it. When her daughter told her that she and Blake started dating, she had planned a trip to fly out and see them, but it kept getting pushed farther back. Until today, the three of them caught up over dinner. Back at their apartment while Violet was taking a shower, her mother, Linda, pulled Blake outside to talk.

Blake- "What's up?"

Linda- "I've always told my daughter two things....Always keep fighting for the things you want."

Blake- "What's the other thing?"

Linda- "Don't settle."

Blake- "W-what are you saying" he started to get confused.

Linda- "No, no, it's nothing bad. I can see how happy you make her and I can see the love you two share. Do you see a future with her?"

Blake- "Of course I do."

Linda- "Then I want you to have this." she said while taking her ring off.

Blake- "Why?"

Linda- "This is my ring from my late husband, Violets father, so when the time is right, ask her to marry you with this ring. It would mean so much to her."

After a heartfelt conversation, Violet looked through the glass door that leads to the deck of the apartment, and seen her mom and boyfriend hugging.