2

"Well, it could be worse."

That was the first thing his mother said as soon as they arrived at what would be Cleo's new room for the next four years of college.

"Mom, please don't criticize." He said in supplication. He hated it when she started criticizing everything she saw.

"They make it hard when they have such horrible dorms." She opined again with revulsion.

"I totally agree with you."

A new voice joined the conversation out of nowhere making Rena and Cleo turn to look at the owner. It was a girl a little shorter than Cleo, about his mother's height. Her hair was a bit red but not as strong as Cleo's and she was leaning against the doorframe of the room. She flashed a friendly smile at both of them.

"With all the money they make here, I'm sure they could make a better dorm for the students." She continued, now standing up straight.

"That's what I say! But Cleo just thinks I'm exaggerating." His mother said with complete confidence to the girl she didn't even know. But Cleo wasn't surprised though. His mother could chat with a total stranger as if they were best friends for life. She had that talent.

The unknown girl laughed lightly at his mom's comment and then turned her gaze to Cleo. That made him a little nervous. The brunette wasn't a big fan of eye contact.

"I guess you're Cleo." She said.

And Cleo just tried to sound as natural as possible and gave her a friendly smile with a slight nod.

"Yes, Cleo Todd." He introduced himself to her and held out his hand, waiting for her to take it. An old habit of his. "Pleasure to meet you."

"Mine as well." She said shaking her hand with his. Then Cleo noticed how her expression changed quickly, her brow furrowing slightly. "You know, your last name sounds familiar. It's just your first day here?"

That left him a little confused. Because even though his last name was somewhat common, Cleo still found it curious how it was familiar to the redhead.

The chestnut was about to answer her question, but she seemed to remember where she knew his last name from before he could respond.

"My God, of course. Aren't you the guy Coach Harbor convinced to be on the basketball team?"

That was an excellent summary of why Cleo was there, in fact.

"Yeah, that's me." He nodded, still somewhat confused that she knew, wondering if she was the only one. Hoping it's the only one, actually. "How did you know that?"

"Oh, my father is the coach. And let's just say it wasn't possible to forget the cool kid in basketball that he keeps talking about. Sometimes I think he loves you more than he loves me." She says amusedly making Cleo laugh lightly.

"Well, Cleo and I are very happy for the opportunity your father is giving him." Rena said with a grateful smile towards the girl.

"Of course. After all, I see he deserves it." Summer states. "I'm Summer, by the way." She finally introduces herself. "And I guess you're his mother." She said the last looking only at his Mom.

"Yes, I'm Rena." She said with a smile that could perfectly light up every corner of that room. "It's nice to meet you, sweetheart."

"Likewise, Mrs. Todd." Summer said, shaking Rena's hand like she did with Cleo's. Then she looked back at the chestnut. "Well, I just came by to introduce myself and meet my new neighbor. I'm right next door if you need anything."