Chapter 20 - 2020

The after party is not the usual mad, alcohol-fuelled club night - none of them have been since the pandemic started, but for the first time in a while we're able to actually have a get-together within regulations. It's being hosted by Daniil Kvyat, as he's the only one with a house nearby and, as far as I know, a decent number of the other drivers are going. 

Charles and I arrive together, not worried about press as it's only a small, unofficial thing. But we're very late and eight pairs of eyes settle on us as we skirt around the house and emerge into the garden, where the group is waiting. 

'Oh, look who finally decided to show up!' Max gets up from his seat and comes over to me, giving me a quick hug and whispering in my ear, 'I'm in crisis. Help.'

I look at him strangely, but there isn't time to ask what's going on, as Daniil is already beckoning us over. 

'It's alright, guys. This whole thing was pretty last-minute anyway. And sorry if it's cold, we're only allowed outside.' 

'Oh don't worry about the cold, mate. I'm British.' I reassure him with a laugh, going and sitting down in a free seat. Charles follows me, exchanging a greeting and a few hushed words with Max. 

I've never really had much of a conversation with Daniil, but he seems nice enough and it's generous of him to host, so I chat to him for a bit. There's a few snacks and some wine too, which we all share around. Conversations centre in little groups around the circle, discussions about the race as well as life in general. 

It feels good to all be together, even if it's not our normal kind of party, but I can't help but pick up on the atmosphere in places. Max is behaving very strangely, talking quietly to Charles and Daniel, wine glass constantly emptying and refilling. Plus, despite me not knowing him very well, I'm getting some definite vibes from Daniil, who also seems to be drinking much more than is perhaps necessary. 

After a while, the main conversation moves away from me and I'm able to lean over to Charles, who's in the seat next to me. 

'Charles.' I get his attention and he gets closer so he can hear me, 'Am I mad, or is there something I don't know about going on?' 

Charles glances over at Daniil, who's preoccupied talking to Lewis, before whispering, 'I can't explain right now, but yeah. And I'm really hoping it's not going to get out of hand, but if it does, just stay out of it.' 

'But what...' I try to persist, but Max leans over Charles, butting into the conversation. 

'What are you two whispering about?' He hisses loudly, the slurring in his words telling me that all the wine he's drunk is finally getting to him. 

'Nothing, Max.' Charles pats him on the shoulder, gently pushing him back into his seat. 

'Oh I see, you're just flirting, as usual.' Max grumbles, loud enough for everyone to hear. A few members of the circle do look over. 

'Keep your voice down, mate.' Daniel, who's on the other side of Max, tells him urgently. 

'Why?' Max continues at full volume, 'Like it's not totally obvious already.' 

I note that the conversation between Lando, George, Carlos and Pierre has died down and they're all listening, while also trying to pretend they're not. Daniil and Lewis are still oblivious. I'm starting to worry a little bit. 

'I think you need to drink some water, Max mate.' I remark, leaning back in my chair. 'You're hallucinating.' 

'Don't try and gaslight me,' He waves a finger vaguely in my direction, 'I'm too smart for that.'