Chapter 36 - 2021

'How're you doing, Mai? I feel like I haven't seen you in forever.' 

Daniel's smile is making me nervous, because there's an undertone to it that I can't read. 

'Danny, you saw me last weekend. You see me every weekend.' I dismiss, continuing the walk between hospitality and the garages. 

'I see you, yeah. But I haven't seen you. Y'know?' 

'Not really, no.' 

We reach the entrance to McLaren's garage and Daniel sighs heavily, turning to me. 

'I'm not getting anywhere, here.' He mutters to himself, before speaking firmly to me. 'What is going on, Maya?' 

'Why does everyone keep asking me that?' 

'Because it's so obvious that something's not right!' He takes me by the shoulders and I instinctively look left and right for cameras. 'We're worried about you! You're quiet and disconnected. You're turning up to the paddock with mysterious bruises and none of us can get a straight answer out of you! We're all really worried, Mai. I'm worried, Lando's worried, Daz is worried, Charles is worried, Max, Lewis, Pierre, Carlos, Alex, George, we're all worried about you!' 

'And I wish you'd fucking stop!' I snap, pulling myself out of his grasp. 'I'm fine. I just want you all to leave me the fuck alone!' 

I turn on my heel. 

'Maya!' 

I ignore him, disappearing into the Ferrari garage as quickly as possible. 

It's not long before the race and Dylan has arrived to support, hanging around and chatting to the engineers in the garage. I can't help but notice the way people act around him. They're shifty, suspicious. It makes me nervous. 

If he thinks I've told someone, I don't want to imagine what he might do to me. 

The fear only intensifies when I enter the garage to see Daniel hovering around, sticking out like a sore thumb in his orange McLaren gear. He's talking to Dylan. And it looks tense. 

My limbs go weak with panic and I immediately walk up to them, interrupting the conversation abruptly. 

'What're you two chatting about?' I try to keep my tone casual and friendly, hiding the shake in my voice as Daniel glances to me, then over at Dylan. 

'Oh, y'know. Just getting to know each other. We've not really had a chance to really talk yet, have we mate?' 

Everything about Daniel's speech, his demeanour, the friendly pat on the back he gives Dylan, everything is passive-aggressive. And the look on Dylan's face as he meets my gaze tells me that he feels it too. I silently beg Daniel to stop, to think about what he's doing, but of course he doesn't. 

'Had a little chat about you, as well.' He says, grinning, 'Got to make sure he's treating you right.' 

It's so pointed, I can't take it any more. 

'Well, sorry to break up your little coffee-morning, but Zak's asking for you.' I say to Daniel, rushing over my words more than I intend to. 

'Really?' 

'Yeah. I think there's just some last minute details he wants to go over.' 

'Where is he?' 

'Don't worry. I'll take you to him.' I smile, pouring every ounce of my acting ability into the expression. Thankfully, Daniel seems to have got the idea and smiles back. 

'Oki doki.' He says, lightly, 'See you around, Dylan.' 

Dylan, who has remained totally silent for the whole exchange, just about manages, 'See you.'