chapter two

DAWN HAD NEVER WANTED TO DIE MORE IN HER LIFE. she walked, holding onto bianca's hand tightly. grover's friend, percy, was walking beside her, his face twisting in pain.

"i'm gonna miss my plane," dawn mumbled. "i was supposed to leave for the airport ten minutes ago."

"we're gonna get you on the next plane out of here once we ditch the psycho."

"... is the psycho dr. thorn or that kid?" dawn asked, gesturing to percy.

"dr. thorn."

dawn shrugged. she let go of bianca's hand to fiddle with her charm bracelet— probably the only expensive thing she owned. her dad sent it to her for her fourteenth birthday, a tiffany & co. bracelet.

don't cry, she mentally scolded herself, although she wanted to. she missed her dad, she wanted to be at home in her own bed, where she could wake up and go surfing.

she regretted not changing when she tried to escape, her dress and jean jacket weren't made for the snowy maine weather.

"there is a clearing ahead," thorn finally spoke. "we will summon your ride?"

"what ride?" bianca asked.

"summon? the fuck does that even mean—"

"silence, you insufferable girls!"

"hey, don't talk to my sister like that!" nico protested, despite his voice shaking. "or dawn," he added.

dr thorn made a growling noise that most certainly wasn't human. nico faltered, but bianca and dawn quickly pushed him forward.

"i'm just— i'll just run to the airport. if i sprint, i'll— i'll miss my plane, but i'll get a different one and i'll go home and it'll be fine," dawn mumbled, trying to reassure herself.

"what are you gonna tell your dad when he's waiting and the airport and you aren't there?" bianca asked.

"... i haven't gotten that far yet."

"halt," dr thorn interrupted them. they all stopped, and dawn's stomach dropped when she noticed they were right by the edge of a cliff.

"please tell me he isn't gonna push us off a cliff."

dawn turned to face thorn as he pulled out a phone. "the package is ready to deliver. and, ah, an extra.. surprise."

"is he kidnapping us right now?" dawn hissed. "i'd rather get pushed off a cliff!"

"no one's getting kidnapped, and no one is getting pushed off a cliff," percy whispered.

"oh, now you speak?" dawn asked sarcastically. "do you even have a plan? ... no! oh, my god. i'm gonna die in america, do you know how embarrassing that is? oh, i'll see you next year after my exchange program, never mind i'm fucking dead!"

percy just sighed and glanced at the water at the bottom of the cliff.

"by all means, son of poseidon! jump! save yourself!" thorn laughed.

"... what the fuck did he just call you?"

".. long story."

"what do you mean, long stor—"

"you'd be dead before you reached the bottom. you don't realize who i am, do you?"

and then suddenly, dr thorn looked exactly like the lion-like creature she'd seen on her birthday.

".. you guys are seeing that, too, right? i'm not losing it?"

"i'm gonna be sick," bianca muttered.

"unfortunately, you are wanted alive, if possible. otherwise you'd be dead. except you, miss delgado, i could kill you and nobody would care."