chapter four

"DO YOU ALWAYS SIT IN TREES AT AN UNGODLY HOUR OR JUST TODAY?"

dawn sighed and looked down to see percy jackson staring up at her from the ground.

"you can see the sunrise better," she shrugged.

"the sun hasn't risen."

"it did over there," she pointed over the mountains. she climbed down the tree, stopping once she was face to face with him. she fought a grin at how close they were in height. she prided herself in being tall, solely because she used to be short growing up.

"... right. well.. artemis wants to talk to you. again."

he seemed rather unhappy at the mention of the goddess, but dawn didn't blame him. she wasn't exactly pleased with her either.

"oh, joy."

he gave a tight lipped smile and raised his brows as they both had similar feelings about the goddess at the moment.

"welp, let's see how my life gets fucked over now, why don't we? come on, seaweed brain."

"wh— first of all, what did you just call me? second— why do i have to come with you?"

"seaweed brain. i might not believe this whole... greek god bullshit, but everyone says you're the son of poseidon. and you smell like the ocean, so....." she shrugged. "and you seem.... slightly sane. i would bring grover, but he likes artemis and his.. goat thing still kinda creeps me out."

"yeah, that was very hard to get used to. one second, your best friend is a normal, awkward dude. next thing you know, he's got hooves."

"right? i thought he shoved a goat down his pants, to be honest."

"me too."

🌅

"sooo... are we gonna sit here in silence or is someone gonna say something?"

"right. so.. i figured out one of the possible ways you could be part of our world. your grandmother was one of my hunters—"

"abuela? holy, catholic woman, isabella delgado used to run around with a greek goddess and fight people?"

"well, she wasn't quite like that back then, but yes."

"so, what? she was a demi-god?"

"no. she was a mortal who simply joined because she wanted to. she could see through the mist, which is what i thought was the case with you. however, the reason she left was your grandfather, a son of aphrodite."

dawn blinked at her, "sorry, uh... so you want me to believe that my extremely catholic, used to force me into mass dresses as a baby, grandparents are.. a part of this weird make believe greek god world of yours?"

"it isn't.." artemis sighed. "it isn't make believe."

"yeah, still not totally buying that. bianca and nico might've been open to the idea, but everything you've said so far sounds ridiculous. no offense. isabella delgado is the most catholic woman i ever met. and antonio delgado lectured my dad for buying me makeup when i was twelve. and you expect me to believe that abuela heard the words greek goddess and said, 'oh, that's fine, let me kill mythical monsters with her!' and abuelo is a son of aphrodite when he still complains that i own makeup? fat chance, lady."

"as.. insane it may sound, yes, that is the case."

"....... do you smoke weed? maybe do some heroin? i'm just trying to find out why everyone here finds this totally normal and why the guy i've been friends with for months is a fucking goat."