𝟑

Effie comes to wake you for breakfast, and with the sight of your face, wet from tears you didn't even feel in your sleep, your messy hair, your effort to still tidy up, just filled her bright eyes with a sickening emotion. Pity.

She feels sorry for you. 

All happy-go-lucky appearances gone, she lets you get ready, a sad smile tugging at her powdered face.

Powered only by the lack of nightmares and music playing in your head, you pick out a navy button-up shirt and a flowing, maroon skirt for today. You carefully assess your face, drying it with a stray towel before breaking into the new and extensive makeup supply.

As one can assume, there isn't a lot of makeup in 12. But, then again, the Bairds had a small supply from before the Dark Days  - too old to be very effective, but great for practice. Sometimes Madge Undersea comes round with the cheaper stuff, and during the Victory Tours quite a few stylists and staff have given generous offerings. It's still rare though, so you only use it now and then.

Yet, when you've been reaped, you use every luxury you still can.

Tears and fears removed from your appearance, you head to breakfast.Haymitch seems to have focused on his task, ready and raring to go. "Ah! You've made it! Sit, sit, we have work to do."

Finding an empty seat, you settle down and dig into your meal. "So, y/n," Haymitch begins, "What can you do? "

You think about it for a few minutes before answering. "I can climb, run, and forage. I have a good aim." 

Haymitch raises an eyebrow, unimpressed by just a claim. "Show me."

You grab a random weapon, a butter knife, and say one word before letting the blade fly. "Duck."

Thunk

Luckily, Abernathy's reflexes have lasted all these years, as you hit the wallpaper where his head was. It's easy to do, when you remember that your eye isn't where the knife is. Haymitch looks back up, grinning. "Potential!" He exclaims, filling you with pride. Effie smiles at your gaze, and Rye's seat is empty, plate littered with crumbs.

Haymitch questions your other talents. "How do you know you can do the other stuff?"

You have to decide carefully on how you explain it. You don't want to be whipped before the games. "Well...I often climb trees and collect berries from bushes around the place." Haymitch looks you in the eye, understanding.

Leaving District 12 is a crime. You could be whipped on a regular basis for it. You don't hunt, but you bring a basket and search for berries, herbs, and other fruits. Occasionally you even head to the nearby river to greet the snakes and collect the Katniss that grows there. It's funny, you pick your friend and eat her. It's also known as Swamp Potato, but where's the fun in that? You sometimes find snakes when you go digging - sweet creatures, they always wrap around your arms and almost purr when you sing to them.

"Now," Haymitch continues," since you're a singer, I suppose you'll be fine with the performing aspect of this?"

"I should, yes." You reply, waiting for the next question.

"Don't go against the prep team and your stylist. They are a key factor in the pre-games. They help you make an impression." He warns you, face serious.

"Wouldn't dream of it." Is all you say, as that's all that's needed. You, finished with your rich breakfast, wander until you find the navy sitting area again, and Rye. Neither of you speak up, but you don't need to. You're allies, and will be 'till the end.

Suddenly, the car plunges into darkness, and both of you rush to the nearest window just as the train departs the tunnel, revealing the glistening metropolis that is the Capitol. A minute or two later, you arrive at the station, crowds of neon, flamboyant citizens screaming out your names, smiling.

You wave, making the most of the group of fans. A smile even creeps onto your face - maybe, just maybe, these people could turn into sponsors, with a little acting work.

Sponsors are Capitol men and women who invest in a tribute, so their mentor can send them sponsor gifts, which range from food and water to weapons and medicine. The more sponsors you have, the easier it is to win. If you and Rye can grab enough sponsors, you might be able to relax slightly. You might stand a chance.