𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚-𝑻𝒘𝒐

Latoya was up early the morning of her court ruling, her barely there makeup look doing little to lift her weary face as she paced the living room with anxiously linked fingers

"Hey, come over here and eat something before you pass out from hunger and stress." I said as I opened the sandwich maker and transferred the two warm, crispy cheese and tomato sandwiches I'd just made onto a plate.

"Chey, do you think I'm worried about food right now?"

"No. I know you're not, which is why you didn't eat a thing yesterday...which is why I want you to at least have this little meal for breakfast before we leave for court."

Latoya heaved a sigh, but came to the counter anyway, her shaky hands wrapping around the steaming cup of coffee I held out to her. She was still tense as she settled on the barstool and dug into her food, but at least she was eating.

I could tell she was in no mood to talk, so I didn't force conversation. I sat with her in her fear, my own fears quelled by a stream of prayers I was internally saying as we ate in silence.

By the time Latoya stood to go put on the formal dress she'd be wearing today, she'd only eaten half her sandwich and had a few sips of her coffee. I sighed in defeat and took a moment to tidy up the kitchen before retreating to get ready in my room, my own nervousness multiplying itself as I got dressed with trembling hands and bated breath.

About an hour later, we were in the now familiar courtroom, the panel of jurors sitting with unreadable faces as usual. One of them handed the envelope with their verdict to a clerk, who in turn handed it to the judge.

Time came to a standstill as he opened the envelope that held my sister's fate in it. This time, Alex's hand wasn't there to hold mine through the nerves that coursed through me. I sat stiffly, my eyes glued to Latoya's face on the screen. For someone who'd been nervously pacing around the room and unable to eat or sleep, she was shockingly calm, her eyes on the judge as he read the jury's verdict to himself and nodded once before looking up from it to address the room.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, thank you for diligently assessing all the presented facts of this case to bring forth a fair delivery of justice. I am in full agreement of the verdict you have delivered." he said in a commanding voice that made my heart slam against my chest. He then turned his attention to Latoya, whose mouth started to quiver as she sucked in a heavy breath and listened as the judge addressed her. "To the defendant, Ms. Latoya Chenjela, this court finds you not guilty of all the charges brought against you. You are hereby released from any further obligation relating to this case..."

The judge was still speaking, but I couldn't hear a thing. I had tears in my eyes as I watched my sister release a breath she'd been holding for several weeks since this trial started. Her eyes pooled as the judge addressed the prosecution and Ketura's defence team separately before declaring that court was adjourned and lightly hitting his gavel against the table.