Chapter 1

~ The Exams 

"NEXT!"  the receptionist called for her desk. Seemingly tired from a long morning of checking in examinees, "Grimoire?" she asked looking up to meet the eyes of the boy who stepped forward.  The boy in question silently handed off the book as requested, staring beyond the receptionist and into the Colosseum. "Name, Age, and hometown?"  she asked, a little annoyed at his lack of concentration.  "Ambrose"  he responded, his voice sounding like a distant bell ringing in the eye of a violent storm. "18 and I don't remember the name of the village, always moved around a lot."  He answered, leaving no room for questions. "Very well then Ambrose, your number is 123 do well not to forget it." the receptionist said, handing back his grimoire and ushering him inside. 

Once inside, he marveled at how big the arena was having never been inside such a large space before. Walking over to a secluded area near the back walls, he began to slowly release his mana expanding it ever so cautiously as it seeped into the space he found himself in.  Deciding to let his magic work, he let his eyes slide close as he waited for the exams to begin. Peeking them open every once in a while when he felt a few people with strong mana pass by him.  

After resting for a half hour, his eyes snapped open as he searched for the nine power signatures the just entered the arena. Not finding them at the entrance he lifted his eyes to the stands above the participants finding them.  Nine of the most powerful Knights in the kingdom were the Magic Knight Captains.  "Greetings all, as you may know, I am William Vangance captain of the Golden Dawn. It is my pleasure to welcome you all to this year's Entrance Exams. Good luck and may the best of you pass and become the protectors of the kingdom under his majesty the Wizard King. Now {Magic Tree Desecent}"  The skies darken as thunder clouds cover the colosseum thick tree roots descend from the skies branching off and forming broomsticks for each participant. "For the first exam, you will be required to fly on the brooms provided for you, if you can not control your mana and therefore your broom I'd suggest you leave immediately as the test will only get harder from here."  Vangance explained signaling for them to begin. Most people stayed low to the ground as they had a hard time controlling their brooms, though there were some for took full advantage of their control and darted into the skies, among those select few was Ambrose who had taken to flying laps around the stands and performing several successful loops and turns. 

As for the next exams, Ambrose continued to show his mastery over his magic.  destroying the wall for the second  with a simple snap, slicing all the papers with a wave of his hand in the third,  imbuing a small portion into the seed given to him for the fourth causing It to grow into a beautiful wisteria tree, and conjuring a golden gate for the fifth. "I would like to congratulate you all for making it this far in the exams, as I introduce your proctor for the final exam. Fuegoleon Vermillion captain of the Crimson Lion Kings." Vangance introduced as a man with flaming orange hair and a stern look rose to speak "For the final exam you are required to duel with one another, if you can not then I'd suggest you leave immediately as this is what it means to be a magic knight of the Clover Kingdom. Facing powerful adversaries in defense of its citizens. Grimriores are allowed, however, you are not permitted to kill your opponent, now pair up and begin!" 

Ambrose, having not socialized with his fellow examinees, was searching for a partner when a young man around his age approached him. "Would you like to be my partner?" the man asked avoiding Ambrose's gaze, "It's usually a tradition for you to  introduce yourself before asking such an intimate question." He teased the man, who in turn blushed "M-My apologies, I James would be honored if you'd join me as my sparing partner." James introduced with a small bow earning a slight chuckle from the other man "I Ambrose would be delighted to join you on the dancefloor"  he responded looping his arm through James' arm and guiding the dumbstruck man to the middle of the arena. 

"Next Round, Ambrose vs. James Kira!" the announcer called.