Chapter 3

~ The Squads

"...They were Soulmates, destined to be together for all eternity." 

'Soulmate, huh?' Ambrose thought as he waited patiently for his number. James had disappeared saying he needed to use the restroom, which Ambrose knew was a lie but decided not to question. Instead choosing to focus on the other examinees as they were either accepted in a squad or turned down. 

"119!" the number was called as James appeared in front of the captain's stands. All nine captains raised their hands at the sight of him, causing shock to run throughout the onlookers as he was the first that all captains wanted. ''It makes sense, he is the wizard king's son after all" some high-ranking nobles remarked sending an even bigger wave of excitement through the crowd, especially with the female members. Which for some unknown reason irritated Ambrose as he watched from his perch up in the stands 'As is some he'd be content with some weak-willed tramp' he thought darkly, unknowingly releasing an aura of malice. 

"I'd like to join the Golden Dawn," James said, ignoring the comments that always followed him whenever someone mentioned his father. However, he could not help but feel slightly irritated as the man in question decided to sneak off from his duties to spy on him as he took the exams. 'Annoying geek, why couldn't he just let me be' he thought making his way back to Ambrose. 

"123!" Ambrose stood making his way toward the captains. Upon seeing him, all captains raised their hands again, to which Ambrose rolled his eyes. "Though any sane person would join the Golden Dawn if given this opportunity, I am far from rational and would love to join the Black Bulls." 

'And queue the uproar.' He thought as everyone started criticizing his decision to join the "worst squad'' with a stifled yawn he began making his back to his seat, surprised to find that James had returned. "The Bulls?" the blonde questioned, "You're not hoping to get rid of me are you?" he asked, a playful pout gracing his face, "Why whatever do you mean my dear prince? I've no intentions of running from you, I only chose the squad not composed of stuck-up nobles and disgusting royals. Besides I feel as if something interesting is about to begin."  Ambrose replied, with a subtle glace towards the ash-haired blonde Asta. James following his gaze hummed in slight intrigue,  "I see how peculiar, a boy with no mana capable of negating the mana of others. As for the other, he wields the four-leaf clover and I suspect there's more to it than that. How about you keep an eye on the short one,  while I watch the other? Therefore we can check in with one another from time to time." 

"You sure you're not just making an excuse to see me again?" 

"Darling, I'm a prince, I need no excuses to see whomever I choose."