Distractions

(Mari)

1 MONTH LATER

"Mari, get down here and help Anthony with the tree," Mrs. Padilla hollered from the foyer. I trudged downstairs. "Why did you bring a tree inside a house?" I asked her plainly. "Because it's Christmas dear! That's what people do here," she replied cheerfully. Americans are so weird. It was December 18th, seven days away from Christmas and Mrs. Padilla seemed to be in her element. The house was completely decked in Christmas attire. I'm not sure why, since we were leaving for Hawaii tomorrow. Bows, real Holly and Evergreen garlands hung everywhere encasing the house in a primal Christmas smell. The tree had to have been at least 15 feet to accompany the high, inverted ceiling in the living room. The pile of gifts stacked high by the red and green bedazzled fireplace thrilled me every time I looked at them. Mrs. Padilla had bought me a new set of clothes. Christmassy dresses and such. There was one that was my personal favourite that was made out of white cotton and was in a halter style. It had poinsettias and holly splashed all over it. It was absolutely gorgeous. I decided to wear that one on Christmas Day. I also had fancy winter jackets, stylish scarves with matching gloves, high quality red rubber boots. These people like to spend money.

Half an hour later, we had the tree up and decorated with the help of a ladder and the loft above on the next story. We moved all the presents from the fireplace to under the tree. Me and Anthony stepped back to admire our work. "It's perfect!" I exclaimed. I thoroughly loved Christmas in every aspect. I decided to let the tree thing slide. It looks great. What really bothers me though is when these commercials come on and there are kids playing in snow and such. Like snow is a part of Christmas. Anthony informs me that here in LA, we don't get any snow. I feel like I'm missing out on a huge part of Christmas without it. I have never actually seen snow before in my entire life. "Don't worry about it. There's a reason my mom got you all those clothes," Anthony said excitedly. Since last month, we have become inseparable. We weren't dating or anything, Anthony was too afraid to go in that direction at all, he didn't want to make me uncomfortable in any way possible. I wish he would. Mrs. Padilla walked into the room. "Tree looks great guys! Are you all ready to go?" She asked us. "Go where Mrs. Padilla?" I responded. "Oh for gods sake Mari, you've been here for months. Call me Adaline, alright?" Mrs. Padilla, I mean Adaline reprimanded. I nodded respectfully. "Mount Whitney!" Anthony cut in. He seemed really frickin excited about this. He charged upstairs and hauled down a one of those huge hiking backpacks that span the length of your entire back. "Don't worry about it Mari, we already have yours packed, we wanted to make this a surprise" Adaline reassured me. "You are going to love this. Trust me. We do this every year," Anthony said excitedly. "Hold on honey, I'm gonna step out this year. That hike kicks my ass more and more every year. I'm getting too old for this stuff. I packed enough in your backpacks for the hike there, staying one night and hiking back," Adaline informed Anthony. He just nodded, he looked a little bit crestfallen. "Don't worry about it sweet boy, I'll be right in the parking lot at Whitney Portal when you get back," she said in a very motherly tone. We all packed into his mothers Escalade. It was about a four hour drive up to Whitney Portal where the trailhead started to the peak of Mount Whitney. The drive was gorgeous. As we passed Lone Pine, I was amazed by how different it was from Los Angeles. So much smaller and not as busy. It was very strange. I'm used to always being in a hasty, bustling setting. I lived in the touristy town of Kagoshima in Japan. It's the most southern point on the main island. It's always busy. Then there's my house where people who work for my parents come in and out all day long. We don't have time for vacations and such. I'm used to the streets of my town, my school and my home. I had to get out. Figures I was placed in one of the busiest places in America, but I definitely lucked out. As soon as we got out of Lone Pine, it started steeply inclining. "Woah," I exclaimed after experiencing the sensation of a sudden lift. My ears started popping and my head got dizzy. It reminded me of when I took off from Japan on the airplane. The day I broke free.

When we finally arrived at Whitney Portal, we were at about 8360' elevation. I was stumbling around, holding my forehead. I was shocked when I stepped out and inhaled icy air. I have never experienced this before. There weren't a lot of people up here since it's more of a summer hike. Because of the time of year, there was snow. Everywhere. "AHHHHH!!" I squealed, running into a patch of the frosty stuff. Ok, it wasn't everywhere. We weren't high enough yet for it to be abundant. It was sparse patches on the ground where the sun couldn't see it. I knew I was wearing a designer coat, but I rolled around in it anyways. Adaline was laughing at me from the car. I didn't care, I was having the time of my life. I picked up some with my hands. Real snow, there is actual, real snow in my hands. I threw it up in the air and danced in the falling, glittering particles. "Mari!" Adaline called. I promptly walked over. "Ok, stay on the trail, don't do anything stupid. There's a bit of an elevation change so don't run around, you might pass out. Watch out for each other, got it?" She looked us each in the eye. "Trust me mom, I'm never going to let Mari out of my sigh," Anthony stressed. I looked down at the ground uncomfortable. Anthony sensed it. "Ok, we are just going to get started now. Bye mom!" Anthony stated, breaking the heavy silence. I waved at Adaline and followed Anthony. "Now starts the 10 hour hike to the peak," Anthony sighed. I stared at him. "Haha, you're so funny," I laughed. He laughed back at me, "Girl, I'm deathly serious. That is an 11 mile hike with about 6,000' of elevation. We'd better get started," he said like it was no big deal. "Wait, are you serious? Not cool! I didn't sign up for this!" I started panicking. "Don't worry about it, I'll be here with you," he said reassuringly. The view was absolutely breathtaking. We had already driven up in elevation quite a ways, so we could see the sprawling landscape from the start of the trail. The sky was fresh with mid morning light.

About two hours in, I was starting to feel the effects of the elevation. My head didn't even feel connected to my body anymore. "Anthony, hold on. I need to sit down," I complained, holding my head. He promptly stopped and came to my side. "Damn girl, you look pale," he said worriedly. My stomach started churning. I turned away and threw up onto the ground. Anthony stepped back a little bit, resting a single finger on my back. "Sorry, I don't too well around sick people. Don't worry, it's just altitude sickness. It'll pass," Anthony repeated. I looked up at him with what I could only imagine was intense hatred. "Oh yeah, I'll just "get over it", Anthony, I've felt like this for weeks, it's not passing," I complained, cradling my head in my hands. Anthony slipped his arm around my shoulder. "Come on Marweird, it's a long way to the top," he said only slightly impatiently. I reluctantly get up and almost lose my mind. My vision fuzzed over in black particles. "Man, this elevation is really kicking my ass," I said faintedly.