Chapter Twelve

BORN TO DIE
CHAPTER TWELVE
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

All eyes fell on the married couple when they waltzed in the council chambers, Tahlia giving her former master an apologetic look for being late. Master Windu gave her a small nod, not looking bothered by her and Anakin showing up to the meeting late.

Master Windu's gaze moved to Anakin, who remained standing next to his wife. "Anakin, we spoke to the Chancellor earlier and we have approved your appointment to the council as the Chancellor's representative."

"Thank you." Anakin politely said with a small nod. "I will do my best to uphold the principles of the Jedi order."

"Allow this appointment lightly, the council does not." Master Yoda said. "Disturbing is this move by Chancellor Palpatine."

Anakin nodded slowly. "I understand."

"You are on this council, but we do not grant you the rank of master." Master Windu chimed in.

Tahlia glanced over at her husband, knowing he wasn't going to react well to that. She felt his shock through the Force, along with betrayal and anger.

"What?" Anakin spoke after a moment, glancing at Obi-Wan, who refused to meet his stare. He looked back at Master Windu. "How can you do this? This is outrageous! It's unfair! How can you be on the council and not be a master?"

Master Windu narrowed his eyes. "Take a seat, young Skywalker."

"Forgive me, Master."

Tahlia awkwardly gave her former master a smile before taking a seat, Anakin doing the same. She couldn't help but give her husband a side eye. If it was only them two in the council chambers, she would comfort him, but they weren't and it was killing her knowing Anakin was frustrated and that she couldn't do anything about it.

"We have surveyed all systems in the Republic, but have found no sign of General Grievous." Ki-Adi-Mundi's hologram informed the others.

"Hiding in the outer rim Grievous is." Master Yoda said. "The outlying systems you must sweep."

"We do not have many ships to spare." Obi-Wan commented.

"What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?"

"It is critical we need an attack group there immediately." Master Windu said, glancing around the room.

Obi-Wan nodded in agreement. "He's right. It's a system we cannot afford to lose."

"Go I will." Master Yoda volunteered. "Good relations with the Wookiees I have."

"It's settled then. Yoda will take a battalion of clones to reinforce the Wookiees on Kashyyyk. May the Force be with us all."

Master Windu dismissed them, and Anakin was the first one to storm out of the council chambers. Tahlia exchanged a look with Obi-Wan before the two hurried after him. They caught up with him, Anakin's entire body tensed from anger.

Anakin huffed in frustration. "What kind of nonsense is this? Put me on the council and not make me a master? It's never been done in the history of the Jedi. It's insulting!"

"Calm down, Anakin." Obi-Wan told him calmly. "You have been given a great honor. The fact of the matter is you are too close to the Chancellor. The council doesn't like it when he interferes in Jedi affairs."

Anakin shook his head. "I swear to you, I didn't ask to be put on the council."

"But it's what you wanted. Your friendship with Chancellor Palpatine seems to have paid off."

Tahlia bit the inside of her cheek as she listened to the two. She knew Anakin was very close to Palpatine. She didn't like the elderly man. He always gives her bad vibes. But Tahlia didn't dare to comment anything about him because she knew Anakin would get easily defensive.

"That has nothing to do with this."

"The only reason the council has approved your appointment is because the Chancellor trusts you." Obi-Wan told Anakin.

"And?"

"Anakin, I am on your side. I didn't want to put you in this situation."

Tahlia looked at Obi-Wan in confusion, wondering what he meant by that. Anakin looked at him in confusion as well.

"What situation?" Anakin demanded.

Obi-Wan sighed and stopped walking, turning to Tahlia. "Can you give us a minute, Tahlia?"

Tahlia frowned, but nodded slowly. She walked away from the pair, feeling her husbands gaze on her. She knew Anakin would end up telling her later.

"Why'd she have to leave?" Anakin asked, his gaze meeting his former masters.

"Because she's not going to like what I'm about to tell you." Obi-Wan replied, and Anakin was even more confused. "You two have gotten pretty close. I've seen that."

"What's going on?" Anakin demanded.

Obi-Wan released a sigh. "The council wants you to report on all the Chancellor's dealings. They want to know what he's up to."

"They want me to spy on the Chancellor?!" Anakin exclaimed. "That's treason!"

"We are at war, Anakin." Obi-Wan told him.

"Why didn't the council give me this assignment when we were in session?"

"This assignment is not to be on record."

"The Chancellor is not a bad man, Obi-Wan." Anakin said after a moment. "He befriended me. He's watched out for me ever since I arrived here."

Obi-Wan crossed his arms. "That is why you must help us. Anakin, our allegiance is to the senate, not to its leader, who has managed to stay in office long after his term has expired."

"The senate demanded that he stay longer." Anakin replied.

"Yes, but use your feelings, Anakin. Something is out of place."

Anakin released a sigh, shaking his head. "You're asking me to do something against the Jedi code, against the Republic, against a mentor and a friend. That's what's out of place here. Why are you asking this of me?"

"The council is asking you."