Chapter Seven

- Note: So I just read that there is a recommendation entrance exam, I did not know this prior to writing the last few chapters, because I haven't gotten that far in the anime yet (I am working my way through it though; just slowly). In my opinion, because Petra has chosen to take the main entrance exam, she wouldn't need to take the recommendation entrance exam because she'll prove she belongs through her results in this exam.

.......

It's the morning of the U.A. entrance exam and Petra is nervous, despite already going through this with three other colleges. This is the one that matters the most to her. She might have a place already, but this will prove to herself that she deserves it. The school that everyone in her family, except for her grandfather, attended. That is a lot of weight. A lot of legacy weight. She wants to pave her own path, but at the same time, Petra just wants to make her family proud and be a good hero. She has been quiet all morning, even skipping breakfast to go through her revision notes one last time, just to be sure. And then the train journey into the city, to the campus, has been her sitting with her headphones in to drown out the noise of the world to get into the right head space for what is coming. She pulls off her headphones as she crosses the platform, following along behind Shota. He hasn't pushed her on conversation today and she is entirely grateful. She is scared that if she opens her mouth, she might just throw up with the way her stomach is twisting. She lets out a breath as she looks ahead at her father. He's waiting for her to reach him.

"You'll go in with the others and then after Nezu will come and find you and take you through your results" Shota tells her as she adjusts her scarf and her bag. She nods along with his words, though she can barely focus on them. "Petra" He touches her arm and she looks up at him. "Relax" He whispers. "You're ready..." She nods a little. She's worked hard, studied hard and trained hard. She is more than ready to do this. She's more than ready to begin her hero training. She is very much her mother's daughter in skill. But she still looks terrified. "You don't have to do this" He reminds her softly.

"I just want to know for myself" She whispers and he nods.

"I know" He kisses her head and then steps back from her. "I'll see you later" She nods and glances at him as he walks away. She didn't want to be seen arriving at the school with one of its teachers. She's just not ready yet. Not until she proves that she should be there. Plus he has to be there earlier than her and the plan was for her to get some lunch before arriving. Not that she can eat. She's too nervous. But she can go to a cafe and sit over thinking about the day ahead.

......

A coffee sits on the table in front of her, her hands wrapped around it as she listens to music through her headphones. She was right about this. It was not going to settle her nerves. Caffeine was probably a bad idea too. Her knee jiggles beneath the table with her rising nerves. The closer the clock ticks to the arrival time, the worse it gets. Closer and closer to the exam that matters. If she fails this, she has no idea what she is going to do. None of the other colleges felt right. U.A. is the one she wants. The one she has worked for. A tap on her shoulder brings her out of her thoughts, she turns her head to find out who is seeking her attention. Amani Todoroki. She waves at Petra, smiling brightly. Petra removes her headphones and smiles back.

"Amani" She greets warmly, standing to hug her friend. Amani chuckles and hugs her back. It feels like forever since they've seen one another, though it was only yesterday at school. Talking to one another about today's exam. She should have arranged to meet with her, to sit together as they wait for the start. That would have been so much more relaxing to have her friend at her side. They separate but Amani keeps her hand on Petra's arm. Seemingly seeing how stressed out Petra is and needing comfort from her friend. Amani holds a travel thermos and is dressed in something comfortable and practical. She and Petra kind of share that. At least today. And with them having a practical aspect to the exam, practical is needed. Petra sets the headphones around her neck to give her friend her whole attention.

"Have you been sat here all morning?" Amani asks as she takes a seat across from her friend, brushing her red hair back behind her ear. "Why didn't you text me?"

"I didn't even think about it" Petra admits. She has been too in her head about today. "Sorry" Amani shrugs a little, she's not mad or angry, she knows how stressed out Petra has been about today.

"Yeah, well, I don't even know why you're doing this" Amani mumbles, setting her thermos down as she leans forward. "If I had a place practically gift wrapped I wouldn't be wasting my time actually doing this exam...." Amani is Petra's best friend, so of course, she knows everything. Including the fact that Petra had a recommended place because her family are too supportive. Amani would kill for her mother to be too supportive, but Honoka Arashi is not about giving handouts. She has pushed Amani to work hard to earn everything herself. Something that she knows that Petra wants herself. Petra has always been about proving her own worth.

"You know why I am doing this" Petra argues a little, then takes a drink from her cup.

"Please" Amani comments throwing her head back a little with a roll of her eyes. "We both know" She continues, staring out the window upside down to watch other teenagers all heading along the street towards the U.A. Campus. "That you are like perfect hero material....." She lifts her head and gives her friend a look. "Suppose this whole thing just proves that...." She then nods to the window. "We should be heading to the campus" Petra glances past her friend to look out the window, seeing the same thing that Amani had only seconds ago. People their age are all heading in one direction. Petra looks at the clock on the wall of the cafe and lets out a breath. Amani is right. Petra nods in agreement and stands with Amani. The two of them head out together. A little more ready to face what is coming.