Chapter 3

This is an artwork of Melodie that I drew. What do you think? Good? Bad? What could I do better? Please let me know!

MelodieNox :)
______________________________
"Hey, Melodie... Melodie? Hey, wake up. It's way too late." A voice spoke, trying to drag me from my slumber.  "ugh, no. Let me sleep." I groaned as the books' fresh, relaxing smell soothed me to sleep again. A small sigh resonated throughout the room, followed by a short silence. "Melodie. Report." I bolt up, back straight and wide awake from the authoritative tone, ready to follow Ruben's orders. "Yes, captain!" Ruben sighs again and looks at me, exasperated. "You fell asleep studying here again. I'm honestly thinking of limiting your library time. This is the third night where you didn't get proper sleep. I need you to be functional for the assignment tomorrow." I completely forgot about the squad assignments! Now that we're ready for combat, our squads will receive our first real mission. I'll have to cut today's extra study and training session. "Yes, captain, I understand. I'll be fully operational for tomorrow's mission." Ruben nodded as I reluctantly gathered the books on plant toxins and their cures. I placed them where they belonged as he left and followed him a few moments later. I entered the void squad's assigned room and looked around, seeing Visha on her bed, calmly sharpening her weapons, and that Nuri was absent, which meant she was up to something. I tilt my head back and see a triumphantly smirking Nuri behind me. She then launched herself at me, tackling me to the ground. "Surprise attack!" I let out a sigh, not at all surprised.
-Oh no. You got me.
-Hey! The sarcasm isn't necessary!
-Neither are your surprise attacks.
-It's training! At least try to avoid them!
-Alright.
I twisted a hand out of Nuri's grip, activated a hidden needle in the ring I was wearing, and aimed it at her jugular. Nuris's eyes sharpened as she instinctively grabbed my wrist and placed it behind my back, cutting off my movements. I grumbled as I admitted defeat. Nuri is stronger than me, so I couldn't break free without injuring myself, and the needle was my only available countermeasure. The needle was coated in an immediate non-lethal paralysis toxin that lasted about ten seconds. If I were faster, I would have been able to escape.
-Heh, that was a close one, Melodie. Too bad I was faster, right?
-yeah.
-Come on, cheer up! You'll get me next time!
-When you say that every time, the encouragement loses its meaning.
-Oh, sorry.
Nuri looks away, feeling a little guilty. These surprise attacks are training in awareness for me and stealth for her. It's a recurring event that I started accidentally when I mentioned our weaknesses. She took it as a fun way to train, and I found myself ambushed at least once a week from then on. Even if the constant ambushes and defeats were annoying, they have significantly increased my awareness, though not much else was improving. Unlike my peers and others in the IIA division, I have average strength and speed. So, I use my agility and precise aim to inflict poison and neutralize my opponent to compensate for this. I learn as much as possible to have at least some knowledge of practically any situation. This knowledge helps our team, the Void squad, to become one of the most efficient squads in Falkor's history. At least, that's what I hope. Honestly, Ruben's leadership skills are most likely the valid reason for our success. With his quick and flawless strategies, we subdue our targets before they even realize it. Between Visha's accurate and deadly blade, Nuri's wild and devastating speed with her gauntlets, Lefu's pinpoint accuracy with a bow, Favion's solid defense with a shield, and Captain's grace and fatality with a synth, my skills with my daggers and needles seem like child's play. I sighed as I rested my head on my pillow, questioning my usefulness once again until sleep took hold of me.
When morning came, our squad had already risen. We stood, awaiting the IIA division commander in our designated void squad attire. The outfit was made of thin but solid black material with Cinder Dragon scales placed as chest plates for a more solid defense and magical attack resistance. It has a more breathable and flexible material placed at specific points, such as the sides, elbow, and knee joints, to allow more agility and comfort. Connecting each material was a strip of color to identify what squads we were from, and the void squad's color was a calming royal violet. We all waited patiently in line for the commander's evaluation and orders, standing straight, arms behind our backs with our heads down. Ruben and Visha were positioned in front of us. Visha, also with her head down, was a step behind Ruben, demonstrating her position of vice-captain. However, Ruben, being the Captain, had his head held high, presenting himself as the authoritative position in the Void squad. In the Falkor, there is an order of authority. The Leader of Falkor is known as "The Falkor," which means "guardian of the people" or "luck dragon." Under The Falkor is Mirrikh Kerrim, the current Supreme Commander, who oversees the organization and planning of the Division Commanders. The different Commanders and their divisions are:
- Melantha the Dark Flower, Commander of the IIA Division (Interrogation, Information and Assassins Division)
- Leah the wise, Commander of the RTA Division (Research and Technological Advancements Division)
- Ingvar the warrior, Commander of the Sheild Division (Defense and Protection)
- Gideon the Destroyer, Commander of the Sword Division (Offence and War)
- Cynwrig the protector, Commander of the Front Division (Town patrols and politics)
Each division has its role and organization. The Front Division is what the public sees. They parade and interact with the citizens of Zepherneo to keep their point of view of Falkor as a protective power, allowing Falkor to receive the support and trust of its people. The Sword division is an army of hundreds who train specifically on offense and strength to do the most damage possible if a war arises. The Shield Division is centered on defense and guarding. They are responsible for guarding and patrolling the Falkor bases and prisons. They also monitor the transportation of goods and materials. The RTA Division explains itself. It's in charge of the Research and Technological Advancements of Falkor. Each person is put into a group depending on their skills and talents to help advance their projects faster. I sometimes swing by and help, like the RTA being my sub-division. Compared to the other divisions, the IIA division is unique. It's relatively small but more organized and lethal than the others. Commander Melantha controls five squads of six individuals.
The squad's being:
- The Magma squad, led by Rory Pyrope
- The Cyclone squad, led by Kapheira Shu
- The Frost squad, led by Findlay Vetle
- The Quake squad, led by Craig Cabrakan
- The Void squad, led by Ruben Rose
The door to the missions room opened as the Commander entered the room. Commander Melantha, the Dark Flower, is a beautifully intimidating woman with pale skin, dark blue hair, and piercing golden eyes. She observed us quietly as she decided whether or not we were prepared for our first mission. After a few moments, she spoke. "A group of Antumbra has gotten too close to Janaina village. Your orders are to exterminate them before they infect the surrounding lakes and fish. You will be given these Nox weapons to officially become an active IIA squad. Congratulations, and the best of luck to you all." After she left the room, a guard pressed a button, and the wall rotated, presenting us with many Nox-imbued weapons to choose from. The difference between standard weapons and Nox weapons is that Nox weapons are fused with the core of an Antumbra. The Antumbra are beings that the Nox Plague has fully infected. They are intangible even tho they still maintain their previous forms. To counter this immunity to physical attacks, Nox weapons were created to have the same powerful essence as the Antumbra, allowing them to bypass that intangibility and strike their hearts. I grabbed a slim sword and pulled it out of its majestic black scabbard decorated in violet flames to see a beautiful onyx black blade with a ring of violet at the hilt. The design was simple but stunning. I then grabbed a matching pair of daggers attached to a chain, placing the sword on my back and the daggers at my waist. I looked around and saw that my squad mates had also calmed their weapons. We turn to Ruben, ready for our mission. He ensures we are all prepared, then turns to the door and gives his order. "Alright. Void Squad! Move out!"
——————————————————————
I'm not really sure if I'm explaining things correctly, so if there's something that is hard to understand or that I'm not explaining correctly, just tell me, and I'll try to help.

MelodieNox :)