Chapter 9

AN: I apologize it's taken me over a year to update. But, here's a new chapter.

Meredith was at the hospital. Once again, she was asked to be on Addison's service. She was currently standing at the nurse's station with Addison.

"Meredith, may I please talk to you for a moment?" Derek asked, approaching them.

"No." Meredith said.

"Meredith, please." Derek said.

"You don't get to explain yourself." Meredith said, turning to face him. "I'm an adult. I can handle the fact that you lied to me. What bothers me is that you lied to Erica as well. She's a child!"

"Meredith, you have to believe me that I never meant for Erica to be involved with this mess." Derek said.

"How could she not! She's my daughter! She's part of my life." Meredith said, getting angrier. "You were friendly and kind to her. She grew attached to you I have to think about how this is affecting her. And now I feel like the bad guy because I'm angry at you."

"Then, let me make it up to her." Derek offered.

"Why?" Meredith asked.

"Because, I do care about Erica." Derek continued. "What can I do to make it up to her."

Meredith thought for a moment. Should she let him do this? Most likely it would make Erica happy. She sighed.

"Well, she was looking forward to going out to dinner that night." Meredith replied.

"Then, I'll take her out to dinner tonight." Derek said before walking away.

Meredith remembered Addison was still standing there.

"I'm sorry about that." She said.

"It's okay." Addison said as they walked to their patient's room. "So, that girl with you and Derek when I arrived, she's your daughter?"

"Yes." Meredith answered.

"Do you mind if I ask how old she is?" Addison asked.

"She's ten." Meredith replied.

Addison was quiet for a moment.

"You're figuring out that I would've had Erica as a teenager." Meredith said. "Yes, I had her at 16 and I really don't need anymore judgement."

"Meredith, it's certainly not my place to judge you on something like this." Addison said. "Especially with my job position."

"I'm sorry." Meredith said. "And I apologize. I should have asked if you were alright with Derek taking Erica out to dinner."

"It's alright, Meredith." Addison said. "I don't want to get your daughter in the middle of this."

Meredith nodded and the two went to work.

That afternoon Erica walked into the hospital and made her way to the hospital library. She was working on homework when she noticed Derek walk into the library and head towards her.

"Dr. Shepherd, I really think you should just leave me alone." Erica said. "My mother."

"Well, your mother said I could talk to you." Derek said.

"About what?" Erica asked.

"I heard you were looking forward to going out to dinner the other day." Derek said.

"It's really not a big deal." Erica said.

"Well, what if I said I would take you out to dinner." Derek asked.

"With my Mom?" Erica questioned. "Or your wife?"

"Neither." Derek answered. "It would just be the two of us."

"Really?" Erica asked.

"Why not." Derek said. "That is, if you want me to take you out to dinner."

"Okay." Erica said.

"Is there a certain restaurant you'd like to go to?" Derek asked.

"Red Lobster." Erica answered.

"Alright." Derek said. "I have a surgery that shouldn't take too long, but I'll come find you afterwards and we'll go."

Erica nodded and went back to her homework.

A few hours later, Derek found Erica still in the library.

"Ready, Erica?" He asked.

"So, my Mom's really okay with this?" Erica asked.

"Yep." Derek answered. The two headed to the restaurant.

"I want to apologize to you, Erica." Derek said as they ate. "I never meant for you to get involved with any of this. And I'm really sorry. I promise you that none of this has to do with you."

"It's okay." Erica said.

They continued to talk as they ate. Derek asked how school was going and how she was liking softball.

Afterwards, Derek took her home and Erica thanked him for taking her out to dinner.