Chapter 4

Jackson let the 6 p.m. atmosphere set her mood. The sun was beginning to fall into its invisibility, leaving colors of a variety of blue and purple. She felt this warmth in her soul that began to soothe her, like a warm hot chocolate on a winter night. She was ready to fall into the softness of her pillows and to dive right into the dream world.

"Jackson Perez!" Ms. Cullen pushed the basement door so harshly it hit the wall. Her eyes had animosity built within each iris; her eyes themselves woke all the other orphans from their deep slumber. "You filthy wretch! How dare you leave this facility without my permission!"

Jackson was confused and nervous. She stumbled across her words as she said, "I told you where I was going before I left. I said the preschool across the street was hiring and that I would be back soon."

"You told them everything, didn't you? You told them everything about the orphanage and how we're making you pay for some of the bills. They called here concerned because they think you are some sort of slave here; you are merely working for the cost of living. You are old enough to do so. Why would you tell them that you belong to an orphanage, Jackson! Jackson you are such an idiot I swear to God". Ms. Cullen's left hand grabbed Jackson's arm; her grasp was tight and her voice grew louder with rage. Jackson was dizzy with the sound of her heated words. All the other orphans, including Abram Greene, pleaded with Ms. Cullen to loosen her grip and to bring down her voice, but that just added to her rage.

And then, Ms. Cullen's right hand swung.

Jackson felt a variety of colors, blue: for the waters she drowned in, orange: for the fires she wish she never avoided, the deepest reds gushed out of her as Ms. Cullen left marks with her fists. Every color came together to form a sullen art piece.

...

Jackson woke up from unconsciousness around midnight.
She got the last bit of strength that she had, and walked to the bathroom. She looked in the mirror. Her face was black and blue with hints of red. Crystal clear tears fell from her eyes, and burned her face as the tears fell into the open wounds.

She always promised herself she was too strong for this moment, but she was wrong.

She took out the painkillers she had in her pocket and swallowed one. She let it dance on her tongue, and then go down as easy as water. Then, she took three more. She felt woozy. She was ready for the fourth and then -

"Jackson! What are you doing?!". Abram Greene was at the doorway, and then came rushing towards Jackson, pushing the pills out of her hand.

Jackson knelt to the floor in tears, trying to salvage the last means to her escape.

"Jackson ! You stop that right now!" You could hear fear in Abram's voice.

Jackson slowly got up, as if she had been defeated, and then she walked back quietly to her mattress on the cold, wooden floor.

"Good night, Abram."

"Can you promise to never do anything like that again?"

And then, there was silence.