Chapter 5

It was 2 a.m. The night would not invite her into the home of deep slumber. Her eyes were glued to the clock. Wide awake she was, like when an anxious child is up late on Christmas Eve. She waited for that cold numbness to hit her body, but she was alive. The back door of the orphanage beckoned for her to come, but her body was in pain, as if she was stapled to the bed.

Then, she got up. She walked on beaten clouds, feeling herself slipping through them, but she walked. The door was behind her now, and she felt the coldness of the night wrap itself around her.
She felt as if she was being controlled by a higher power; her foot movements felt robotic, yet they moved to the rhythm of the psychotic melody.

There was a train station across the street.

She walked towards it, crossing the busy road. The honks of cars and the headlights made her feel dizzy and nauseous, but she kept walking.

The train station was filled with tons of people scattered throughout the place, scurrying around like rodents trying to find their next meal. Jackson was unsure of where she would go, or even if she had the guts to do it. Then, she knew. Like a light bulb turning on on top of her head, she knew.

She would go downtown. Manhattan.

She always dreamed of that bright and busy area, the buildings themselves glistening at her arrival. She dreamed of dreams themselves , and how easily they could be made true in such a loud and populated place.

And that's exactly where she would go.

...

"Next stop, Lafayette Street"

Jackson Perez got ready to get off, nervous about being somewhere she's unfamiliar with. Her stomach ached; she had a mixture of hunger and anxiety within her.

"Times Square. This is Times Suare."

And then, Jackson Perez got of the train, and she entered the new world.