Chapter 9

Jackson Perez was never used to waking up in a real bed, but here she was. She yawned, letting the emotions escape her, and she turned in the sheets to see the face of Xavier Philips.

"Good morning."

His breath was the smell of years of slumber. Cobwebs seemed to form on his tongue, and his smile came along with wrinkled skin.

"Morning."

Jackson sat up. The thoughts poured into her mind like sudden hurricanes.
She did not sleep with Xavier. She was sure of it. Her body was not bathed in guilt. She smiled at the thought of his lips on hers and how he respected her barriers.

"I'm going to make breakfast ." Xavier got up from the bed and offered his hand, helping Jackson out of bed. "What would you like? "

Jackson's hand stayed in Xavier's. His eyes were hypnotizing, like one of clocks that they swing back and forth and back and forth and -

"You okay princess ?"

A trillion explosions leaped into the air. Fireworks jumping off her skin.

Jackson Perez hadn't been called princess since her dad died.

"I'm fine, sorry, and I'm good with just a cup of coffee."

Xavier had a look of concern in his eyes. "Just coffee? Won't you be hungry? I'm making eggs and bacon. Come down in about thirty mintues."

And then Xavier left Jackson Perez with nothing but herself.

She looked in the mirror. Her hair was a messy bun, and she had bags under her eyes. She had just slept. "How is that even possible?", she wondered to herself.

Then the tears came. Like when they turn on the sprinklers at the park during the hot summer. It came violently and sudden, shooting out of her eyes. Her sobbing was so loud that it hurt the heart of every living creature.

One of the few things that she had brought with her was a sharpener. She took the blade out, simple. Gets easier with time. She let her fingertips feel the coolness of it. A sigh escaped from her lips.

"Jackson!" Xavier ran towards her and took the blade from her. He went to the bathroom and let it swirl with a flush.

There was no yelling. There was no screaming, no criticism, no judgements. He wrapped his arms around her, tightly.

Their breaths made the melody of the morning.