Chapter 2: 6 years old

My oldest memory at the beach is from when I was six years old. It's the only time I remember crying about going. My mom told me that I was lucky to be going to a beach at all and that some kids never went on vacations. I've never complained since. At least, not externally.
   When we arrived, I got out of the car and inhaled the salty, breezy ocean scent. Right as I was doing that, Jeremiah and Steven came out of the house.
   "What the heck is y/n doing?" Steven asked.
   "She's probably taking deep breaths. Maybe she's scared of the ocean!" Jeremiah said.
   Then they both laughed and teased me about being scared of the ocean. The worst part of it was that I was actually  scared of the ocean. I spent around half of the trip crying.
   I tried not to let anyone see how much I was hurt, but I couldn't hide from Susannah.
   Susannah felt like a safe place where I could explain exactly how I was feeling. Susannah would pull me into a hug and say, "Don't you worry, my sandcrab. Nothing is wrong with you."
   Sandcrab was Susannah's nickname for me. My nickname that only she could use. She still calls me it and says it because when I was little, I would never get out of bed unless forced to. I would burrow under the blankets like a little sandcrab. I was always made fun of for it, but I loved it just the same.
  Belly never was openly mean to me, but I could tell she didn't like me. Belly would look at me like she wished I wasn't standing in her beach house. I think she was jealous of my nickname from Susannah, but it's hard to tell since she never has spoken a word to me unless necessary. Also, everything in her life is perfect. Susannah treats her like her own daughter and Belly also gets to spend the whole summer in Cousins. I have a feeling she loves every second here, unlike me.
  Conrad ignored like Belly, except to join in on Jeremiah and Steven's pranks or insults. I never said it to anyone, not even Susannah, but I had always sort of liked Conrad. Don't get me wrong, I hate how rude he is, but he is kinda hot. Jeremiah isn't totally ugly either but he is so mean, I could never like him.