Chapter 6

After an entire year of her absence, Anne finally stepped foot in her first class at Hogwarts since the day she'd been cursed. The spicy-sweet scent of dittany filled her with peace and comfort. The earthy aroma of dirt and plants gave the humid atmosphere a homey feel. And she delighted in even the more monster-like plants such as the venomous tentacula and Chinese chomping cabbages from where they squirmed somewhat hungrily from the corners of the greenhouse.

"Oh, what a delightful occasion to have you back in my class!" Professor Garlick threw her long red braids over her shoulder and fixed her gardening hat over her youthful face. She didn't appear much older than the rest of the students.

"I do hope my green thumb has only improved since last year."

"Knowing you, I'm positive it has."

Professor Garlick showed her to her potting table, and she couldn't help but glance surreptitiously out of the corner of her eye in search of Ominis—err, her brother, of course. However, only a few students had arrived at class so far, and others were still trickling inside the greenhouse.

Although embarrassingly out of practice, she made small talk with the other students, many of whom she had already known from her time previously at Hogwarts. After an entire year of her absence, it was nice to reconnect with those she'd once considered friends.

The professor began handing out packets of seeds and small packages of fertilizer. Anne found her leg bouncing up and down on the foot of her stool, and she occasionally glanced toward the door. Sebastian would have told her if he'd decided not to show up, right?

Then where was he?

As if on cue, her brother strode into the room, winking at her as a form of greeting.

"Apologies!" Sebastian called out from the doorway as he entered the greenhouse, several other students trailing behind. "Professor Sharp kept us after class because Garreth couldn't keep his concoctions in check."

"Don't blame me," Garreth scoffed without a hint of an apologetic look on his freckled face. He had the classic look of a Weasley, the orange hair immediately giving his lineage away. "I can't help that I placed one drop too many of the leech juice into my cauldron. That bottle was cracked and you know it." And then he perked up when his gaze passed over her. "Hey! If it isn't Affable Anne, looking as sweet as ever."

"Stop flirting," Sebastian warned, taking a seat at the potting table across from her. "That's my sister."

The two argued some more, but her gaze was drawn back toward the doorway when the glow of soft, red light from the end of someone's wand caught her eye.

Ominis entered the classroom, and it felt as if she'd missed a step down a flight of stairs the way her stomach flipped and stumbled and clenched. The handsome sweep of dark blond hair. The slight tilt of his head, and the twitch of his amused mouth. He looked as striking as ever in his black and green Slytherin school robe, carrying a strong, powerful aura that demanded attention to his noble blood.

But then her heart dropped to her toes when another girl followed behind him, one as equally striking and unfairly beautiful. Long, blond hair cascaded to her waist in waves. Blue eyes that rivaled the feathers of a jobberknoll peered curiously around the room.

And when Ominis murmured something to her, too far away for Anne to catch, the girl burst into laughter, sending a pit of discomforting envy sinking to the bottom of her stomach.

That couldn't possibly be Ariella Hart, the new Slytherin.

However, the green and black school robe she wore confirmed her identity. Why would Ominis want Anne when he could have the striking girl at his side? Anne was nothing in comparison. And knowing Ominis's bloodline and temperament, he likely could have her with a snap of his fingers if he chose to pursue her.