Chapter 15

It was done.

After much arguing and deliberating between the three of them, the house was furnished. And it only took all day and some of the evening. Now, one comfortable sofa and two armchairs lay around a table in front of a roaring hearth casting flickering warmth across the bottom floor of the house. Several furnishings rested on the wall, though Ominis could picture them in his mind only.

Anne had contributed potted plants near one of the windows and a few herbs drying from the ceiling in the kitchen area.

Up one short flight of stairs was a nook partitioned by a curtain for Sebastian's bed and empty bookshelves that he was bound to fill up quickly over the coming months and years. And up another flight of stairs was the main bedroom with furnishings Anne had picked out herself.

In all honesty, he hadn't stepped foot in the room, so he wasn't entirely sure what she'd added. Yes, they were married. But...

Their relationship was too new. The unspoken agreement between them—much to Sebastian's incessant teasing—was that she'd have the room until they were ready to share. Until then, he planned to sleep on the sofa downstairs. Well, when he was not at Hogwarts, of course. Unfortunately, they did not want to make the marriage common knowledge yet. Therefore, keeping up appearances at Hogwarts was something they'd have to do for a while.

But tonight...

They could enjoy their new home for one day before returning to school.

Ominis had long since shed his suit jacket and tie in favor of a vest and shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows. The fire crackled and popped in the hearth in front of him, and on the next landing, he caught the faint scuff of Sebastian turning pages in one of his books.

The atmosphere was peaceful. Cozy.

Happy.

And for once, he was hopeful this happiness could last. For all three of them.

He held one of his own books in his lap, his fingers gliding over the braille bumps on each page. It was a book about astronomy.

He envied those who could look up at the night sky and see the stars. To see the constellations shimmering their silver moondust from the dark canvas. Or that's how Professor Shah described them in class. Like something magical that wands couldn't replicate.

The front door opened and closed behind him, letting in the briefest draft of cold air before the warmth from the fire chased it away. He recognized Anne's light breaths and the way her stockinged feet padded on the ground in his direction.

Amusement rippled through him when he caught the spicy-sweet scent of dittany wafting from her hands, as if she'd already seen to planting them in the garden outside.

"What are you reading?" she asked, taking a seat beside him on the sofa.

"Astronomy."

A hesitant pause. "But how can you learn about the stars without your sight?"

He reached for her hand and glided one of her fingers over the open page. "This is the constellation Centaurus. Notice the way the stars are clustered over his chest and lead down toward his horse legs. I may not be able to see it, but I can feel it."

"I never thought to view the stars this way. It's certainly a more hands-on approach."

Not wanting to release her hand, he set his book on the table and pulled her closer until his back rested against the arm of the sofa, and she lay with her back against his chest, between his legs. His arms wrapped around her waist, and once situated comfortably, he took a deep breath of the sweet aroma of her hair tickling his chin.