Chapter 14

Sebastian only took one slap before he ceased arguing, but the sound still echoed in Anne's mind long after her uncle's hand dropped to his side.

Tears streamed down her face as she peered through the shutters downstairs, watching as a red imprint grew slowly across her brother's cheek. He likely knew that further argument would only escalate Uncle's anger. They'd done what they'd come there to do, and his distraction had been sufficient enough for the others to escape.

"You are just like your father." Uncle Solomon lifted a hand again but didn't strike him. Yet, at least. "You should be grateful I've housed you for as long as I have. You should be grateful I still house Anne instead of turning her out on the streets."

Anne balled her hands into fists in her lap, hoping Sebastian would have the good sense to play along. For just a little bit longer.

She swiped at her tears and tried to dry the wetness from her eyes. So many wonderful people were going above and beyond to help her. She needed to play her part, too.

Their voices became muffled through the shutters and distance between them, and she leaned closer to try to discern the conversation.

"I disown you, Sebastian. Members of my family do not use the unforgivable curses. If I ever see you near my property again, I am not afraid to take drastic action."

Fear surged through Anne's veins. Not for herself but for her twin. She didn't know what the drastic action entailed, and she hoped no one would ever find out.

Finally, Sebastian murmured something under his breath, and only then did Uncle Solomon stomp back toward the house. She sprang to her feet, crossed the room to the small nook they called the kitchen, and held perfectly still to try to avoid notice.

Solomon glared at her as he stormed past, but he did nothing more as he stomped up the stairs and fell silent. Only then did she notice her fingers shaking and her body trembling. Her shaky hand rubbed the bruise on her shoulder where it continued to flare beneath her clothing. If this plan worked, she would never suffer bruises again.

She sat on top of her bed partitioned from the rest of the house behind a curtain and clutched Ominis's ring in her hand to try to calm her racing heart. Legally, she was married to him. And she trusted him with her entire being. He said he would come.

Now all she could do was wait.

Even then, she stayed up late, making sure her uncle was asleep before packing a bag with her very few belongings. A couple of dresses. Her Slytherin robe. A few of her parents' books she refused to part with.

Lastly, she held her wand tight in her hand until her fingers became stiff and sore. She wasn't aware that she'd fallen asleep until a knock sounded on the door.

Anne blinked her eyes open against the confusion of daylight streaming inside the house through the closed shutters. Her mind worked slowly as she tried to make sense of her wand held in her hand and her packed bag resting on the bed beside her.

Someone knocked on the door again, and this time, she bolted upright, her pulse thundering through her ears.

Ominis. It must be Ominis.

"So early in the morning," Solomon grumbled on his way down the stairs as he tucked in his shirt and buckled his belt. He unlocked the door, and Anne peeked behind the curtain to find Officer Singer standing tall in her long, black auror robes and official black top hat sitting on her head.

"Solomon," the officer greeted in a stilted but familiar tone.

"Ruth," he replied with an equally cool demeanor. "Why are you here?"