CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

CIA Headquarters
                Langley McLean VA.

Joe Talbot walked into the director's office with a styrofoam cup of hot black coffee with just a hint of cream and sugar. He took a long fulfilling sip. He needed it after the assignment in Syria. One day, he thought, one day he would quit this shit. Maybe get a real life. A family. Friends. Someone special to hold at night. Then he grinned over his cup. Nah. That sounded nice but boring as shit. That type of thing was more for his brother.

Trevor the Saint.

Trevor the ultimate pain in the ass right now.

He normally didn't give a shit about his big brother but this time he was slightly worried. Ok. A lot worried. Important people wanted the Steele matter to go away quickly and it was. The son was going to be delivered as the ultimate sacrifice on a silver platter. Collecteral damage he was. With River Steele arrested, charged and quickly sentenced to life in prison without parole the case will fade from existence. Of course the young man would have a convenient suicide while in prison but it would be believable with his mental status. There were only two flaws to an otherwise perfect plan.

His brother the sainted all perfect attorney with the winning record was the lawyer of record for Steele. The government could not allow Trevor to win this case. If he didn't heed the advice Joe should not have given him in the first place....... he would have to be dealt with. Somehow.

" Talbot, you are looking well after Syria," Director Barrett Stone said from behind his messy unorganized desk. He looked at him over his bifocals. " Good job by the way. One less terror cell for us to concern ourselves with. You have a new assignment. "

He raised a bushy blond eyebrow. His pale green eyes remained cool. " That Iran matter ? "

" No. More important. Abby Steele's book of secrets. We want you to find it and destroy it. We have reason to believe that the son has it. Find the book however you have to. If he gives you trouble eliminate him. It'll save the taxpayers money on his trial. "

Joe nodded briskly and finished off his coffee.

" Also, Talbot, we are aware that your brother is his lawyer. If he gives any trouble he gets the same treatment. Do you have a problem with that? "

Joe was silent. He was quiet for a long time. In his head he saw his brother's earnest face. He crumpled up the now empty cup.

He did warn Trevor. Trevor never had been very good at listening to sound advice.

" No , sir. Do you mind me asking whose orders are these ? "

" Don't mind at all. The White House. "