Chapter 10

As the warm breeze swept across the beach, Anntonia followed Michelle's silhouette along the shoreline, the steady rhythm of waves lapping against the shore creating a soothing soundtrack to their conversation. The weight of their earlier confession hung in the air, but there was also a newfound lightness between them, a shared understanding that despite the uncertainty, they were in this together.

Anntonia stole glances at Michelle, admiring the way the moonlight danced in her eyes, and Michelle's smile revealed a sense of contentment she couldn't quite put into words.

"I'm glad we talked," Michelle murmured, breaking the comfortable silence that had settled between them.

"Me too," Anntonia replied with a soft smile.

Hand in hand, they strolled back towards their forgotten friends, laughter, and music spilling out from the villa. The moment they stepped into the open-air restaurant, they found themselves greeted by pure mayhem. Phu was on top of a table, swirling a bottle of tequila above his head, while Jonas was shamelessly twerking to the beat of the music. In one corner, Phu was passed out, oblivious to the chaos around him. The glam team from Mega was scattered across a makeshift dance floor by the pool, engaging in what looked like an impromptu dance battle.

"Maybe we should get everyone to bed," Michelle suggested reluctantly, gesturing towards their drunken companions.

Anntonia nodded in agreement, her gaze lingering on Michelle's face for a moment longer than necessary. "Yeah, you're right. But let's take pictures, so they can see how much of an embarrassment they all are tomorrow."

With some effort, they managed to capture a handful of snapshots of their inebriated friends before shepherding them back to the villa. Jonas proved especially difficult; his drunken antics were fuelled by spirits. Eventually settling him in a room, he regarded Michelle with a funny look before mumbling unintelligibly, "San ka galing?"

Michelle rolled her eyes, gently urging him onto the bed. "Secret. Bakit?"

"Nag-aminan na ba kayo?" Jonas slurred, his words barely coherent. Michelle shook her head at his feeble attempt at conversation before nudging him to lie down. "Hoy Michelle, sinasabe ko sayo, alagaan mo puso mo, alam ko malalim na yan."

Michelle paused at his words as he patted her leg before turning over, drifting into a drunken slumber. His words had struck a chord, seeming to echo louder than usual in the quiet room. With a sigh, she rose from the bed and quietly closed the door behind her.

Across the hallway, she spotted Anntonia emerging from another room.

"Phu just got sick in the toilet," she grimaced. "I left him with Las, so good luck to him."

Michelle chuckled as they met in the hallway, sharing a knowing look.

Without much thought, Michelle blurted out, "Do you want to go down to the shore? Just the two of us? Or are you tired?"

Anntonia's eyes lit up as a smile broke across her face, "I'd love that."

Without wasting any more time, they ventured down to the water's edge, feeling the warmth of the soft sand beneath their feet. Anntonia's steps faltered slightly, her eyes flickering nervously in the darkness.

"It's so dark out here."

Michelle sniggered, "Don't worry. They say this beach is haunted. Ghosts come out at night."

Anntonia swatted her arm. "Don't say that!" she chided, but her grip on the Filipina's hand tightened as they walked closer to the water.

Finding the perfect spot, Michelle spread out a blanket on the sand, inviting Anntonia to join her. They settled side by side, their shoulders lightly touching as they turned their gaze upwards, greeted by a vast canvas of stars.