Day 3: Nakalele

He taught me how to use my powers to control the world around me. I thought that stones were something I could become, not something I could control. I am almost sure that he is not simply a human. He laughs when I say he must be a long-lost relative of Hermes. — Excerpt from a long-forgotten diary

***

Wind nips at my skin and sends my hair flying as I stand on the cliff's edge. Human and magical creatures chatter as they climb up and down the sides. Layers of lava smoothed out from years of waves crashing into its surface. Black earth from a dormant volcano sits on top of the smooth surfaces. To our right, the tall cliffs snaking in and out. Waves reach so high that they seem to hit the green tops before water sizzles in shades of white down the sides. The tall black cliffs are a constant reminder of this island's origin and the might of nature.

I turn back to see Zale's dark hair whipping around him. One toned leg on a rock as he surveys the crashing waves and island. His eyes turn to me, swirling blue. My shield immediately rises and then slowly extends to encompass him.

"Your eyes," I call to him, my eyes flittering to see if any humans or creatures move towards us. Moths to flames, as the cliche goes. But in a place like this, it's more like moths fall to death on cliffs before being smashed against waves and rocks.

He nods and closes his eyes behind a pair of sunglasses, chest rising and falling under a teal moisture-wicking t-shirt. My eyes linger on the toned, tanned arms for a moment too long. I blame romance novels. Then, up to Zale's relaxed facial muscles, he was created and chiseled to rival the gods and is now stuck behind a magic veil. Zale decided earlier that sunglasses and a hat would be enough to disguise him, but I'm not sure it helps when he seems to glow amongst these elements.

Perfect white teeth flash as he smiles. "Ready to keep heading down?"

I nod. Zale offers a hand. Smooth skin slides across each other as another wave crashes against the side. Below, I can hear some people gasp. The sound of gushing water before it splatters onto the rock like rain. The Nakalele Blowhole calling us to continue the journey down.

Elements. Pure creation battling and forming around them. I can feel it here. That tug of the earth singing its song as it has for millions of years. Beautifully structured chaos. It all somehow fits to make this.

On the way down, my hand touches a wayward vine. I let my fingers stray on the waxy texture of a leaf, relishing in the growth as it snakes across the black rock. Once my feet hit the bottom, I take a few steps away to let Zale follow. His feet crunch on the bottom, and then he gasps.

I turn to see his hand raise to touch my head. "Your hair."

"Oh," I sigh, reaching up to feel the waxiness of the leaves from the vines sprouting on my head. I glance down to see my skin taking on the green and brownish hues of the vine. "Crap."

I close my eyes to will the change away, but he halts me with a hand. "No, we need a picture with the blowhole first. Or, lay on the rock like you're actually going to be a vine." His words hitched with excitement as they picked up speed.

My eyes flutter open to fix him with an annoyed glare. "I'm not here for your entertainment."

He rolls his eyes and waves my words away. "What is the point of having this cool power if you can't have fun with it?" I raise an eyebrow at him. "Well, fun in a way that doesn't harm anyone else. I'm not asking you to actually change into the vine. Just, ya know, let this part of you be."

I let the air fill me up through my nose before letting it out. It could be fun to have one photo of me like this. I am amongst the elements and on vacation. Vacationing is also about taking silly pictures.