Day 6: The benefits of seaweed

No one knows what will happen when mystical creatures are locked into battle. Hunters have theories based on abilities and baseline strength, but at the end of the day, it is anyone's guess. For instance, I once saw a leprechaun bring down a fae. Granted, the fae was drunk, but it was still impressive. — Excerpt from Hunter Jon Vos's diary.

***

I open my door to Zale, who is holding a coffee out to me. His worried gaze scans over me for any signs of the illness I feigned the night before.

"Are you feeling better?"

I nod, "Yep. Thanks for the coffee."

That whole morning, I debated about pretending to be sick again. But I wasn't someone who ran away from a commitment. I can stay beside Zale for one more day. He doesn't owe me anything. This is just an agreement.

Zale glances me over for a moment, pressing his lips together. He nods; whatever he wishes to say seems to be pushed aside.

"I'm glad to hear it," he smiles, offering me his hand.

I force a smile in return, taking his offered hand before allowing him to lead me to the beach. The whole way, I can't help but berate myself as my heart again quickens its pace. My body wants to lean closer to him. I want to blame his powers, but part of me knows that isn't it. The realization shakes me.

"I think I'm going to go into the water for a bit," I say, throwing my bag down as the attendant sets up our casabella.

"Cool, I'll join you once—"

I ignore him as I throw off my cover-up and hurry to the water. The water curls around my toes as I take the first few steps. Waves crash against my legs as I take a few more steps. A few steps later, the water comes to my ribs, and I begin to swim.

"Paige!" Zale yells.

I look over my shoulder to see him reaching towards me as he runs for the water. A second later, sharp nails dig into my left calf and drag me under the water. My scream leaves in a series of bubbles as whatever has my leg drags me across the coral and further into the ocean.

On instinct, I kick against whatever holds me until they release my leg. My lungs and left leg burn as I swim for the surface. A change in the water causes me to turn to my left in time to see Ondine swimming for me.

I throw my silver power into the current, causing her to spiral away from me. Again, I kick for the surface. Precious air fills my lungs as I reach the top. My eyes burn from the salt water as I see the hotel towering over a speck of beach. I must be about a mile out now.

"Calm," I whisper to myself.

Bubbles race towards me, and I brace myself for the attack before I feel Ondine pull me below the water's surface again. She continues to drag me below the water until the sparkling becomes dull. I try to use my powers, but it deflects off a blue shield around her.

This is how I'm going to die. Underwater with nothing to—seaweed brushes against my ankles, and I pause. The plant melts into my essence, and I feel my body relax. I can feel the plant easing my panic as it tries to teach me how to live here. I feel my skin tingle as it adjusts, absorbing nutrients and carbon dioxide from the water.

Ondine's laughter echoes like a melody across the seafloor as she hovers above me. My eyes adjust to the darkness as I ask the plants around me for help. Their essences buzz in delight at being helpful.

I smile at Ondine, immediately causing her laughter to become a scowl. She lunges towards me, and I raise my arm. The seaweed wraps around the end of her tail, trapping her in place. Ondine cuts herself loose with a swipe of her nails, but I send more seaweed to entangle her arms and fin.