Day 5: A little pink pearl

Never underestimate the importance of your emotions when on a mission. It can be the thing that brings you to safety or kills you. — A Brief Introduction for Hunter's

***

The sun warms my toes as we lay under the shade of our casabella. Zale currently has one arm behind his head while his hand holds a book in front of him. I glance at him from behind my sunglasses and place my phone down to rest my eyes. I've spent most of the day accessing databases to learn about mermaid and sea creature law. I stretch my hands above my head and reach for my glass of water.

"Taking a break," Zale comments, glancing at me.

I nod. "Yeah, my eyes are getting tired from the screen, and I'm starting to get a headache."

Zale laughs lightly, turning a page. "I didn't know your dirty books—"

"I wasn't reading a dirty book," I huff, quickly regretting it as he closes his book and turns to look at me.

"Oh?" he asks with a raised eyebrow. "Do tell me what you were so engrossed in, then, if it wasn't something sexy?"

My cheeks heat at the suggestive tone and twinkle in his eye. "I was researching mermaid laws."

The twinkle in his eyes dulls as his smile falls. He shifts his body to turn towards me and grabs my hand.

"You don't need to do that," he whispers.

"Yes, I do."

Zale grabs one of my hands between his. "I'm the one who contracted you, and I'm saying it isn't needed. You are already doing enough by putting yourself at risk."

I snort. "This is what I do. I protect my clients in every way possible by knowing what I'm against. Be it law, societal norms, or the assailant." My fingers tick off the different areas as Zale smirks at me. "Don't forget I have formal training at the Hunter's Academy."

"But, you didn't—"

"I didn't graduate by choice," I snap. "They wanted to use me in ways I didn't feel were appropriate. There are only so many times you can see your friends from previous classes become stars on a wall before you decide the death isn't worth it."

Zale squeezes my hand while giving me a soft smile. "I'm sorry you lost so many friends."

His lapis eyes crinkle at the edges as his fingers run along the back of my hands, causing a heat to form near my heart and race toward my belly. I lick my lips and swallow, trying to find words for the empathy he's showing. A buzzing causes me to pause and turn, reaching for my phone.

"Huh," I mutter, looking at the unknown number on the screen.

"What?"

"Someone just sent me a photo."

I open my phone and go to my messages. A smile forms on my lips as I look at a photo of Zale holding my hand.

I meet his questioning gaze. "Promise me you won't react. Just smile and continue to hold my hand."

Zale nods, and I show him the photo. A hiss of air escapes from his forced smile as he looks at it. Then, another picture is sent. I laugh and kiss Zale on his head before ruffling his hair.

"I'm going to go to the restroom. Please go back to reading your book," I say. "The best thing to do is not to show a reaction. She obviously wants us to react so that she feels in control of the situation."

"But, what if she follows you?" He asks, grabbing my hand.

I shrug. "Then Ondine finds out what it smells like when I poop." Zale smirks. "Also, what it's like when I fight back."