⁀➷ twenty two, too late

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Newt laughed softly as he opened the front door, seeing Minho, Thomas and Teresa standing there. "What are you doing here?" Newt asked.

He was suppose to be at his mums, leaving in a few minutes to go there, not expecting to see the three standing there.

"We are here to take you, plus spend time with you because we miss you" Minho said softly, walking into the house.

Newt chuckled as Teresa walked up to pinch the blondes cheeks. He slapped her hands away, she smiled before walking in after Minho.

Newt smiled as he looked at Thomas, who smiled back. "Hi." Thomas said softly.

Newt held the door open wider, stepping to the side so the brunette didn't have to squeeze past like the other two did. "Hi tommy." Newt said, as Thomas walked into the house.

Newt closed the door behind them, leaning his back against it as he watched Thomas look around the house. "I haven't been here in ages" Thomas muttered softly.

"Only like 3 months" Newt chuckled, leaning off the door to walk towards the living room, where he heard Minho and Teresa talking, Thomas followed him.

"Yeah, Ages."

Newt sat down on the couch next to Minho, Thomas jumping over the back of it on the other side next to Teresa.

"Where's daddy?" Minho asked looking around the house. Newt sighed, rolling his eyes. "My dad is with the horses" He said.

Minho frowned, teresa's eyes widened. "You have horse?" She asked.

Thomas rolled his eyes, "He has five, masie, matilda, blue, raven and bullseye" Thomas said, Newt smiled.

"My dad has three, bullseye is mine, blue is sonya's. I named bullseye after toy story" Newt said, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly as he cheeks heated up.

Teresa awed, "Can we see them?" she asked. Newt nodded, standing up.

He led them to the back door, walking out to the multiple large paddocks. Newt saw his dad in the distance, washing Matilda.

"Let me get bullseye" Newt said, walking down the stairs, the others followed, stopping at the fence newt climbed over.

He walked into the barn like building, horse stables. He walked down a few before stopping outside of the light brown horses stable. He ran his hand over Bullseyes head softly, before grabbing the lead, connecting it to the harness.

He walked out a moment later, leading bullseye towards his friends. "This is bullseye. Don't be shy he is like the most social horse ever, loves attention" Newt said softly.

Thomas smiled, as he reached over to pet the side of Bullseye head. Newt smiled as he watched his friends pet his horse.

It was nice, seeing his friends see a different side to him. One he showed very few people.

They spent a few more minutes petting the horses before Newt's dad walked over. "Hi" Newt nodded to his dad.

"Hello" His dad said, running his hand over bullseyes back. "Your mother called Newt, you're late apparently" His dad said, after saying hi to the three teenagers standing beyond the fence.

"Oh right" Newt said, he had completely forgot about the fact he was suppose to be at his mums.

His dad smiled, "Ill take bullseye. Ill see you sunday night. Drive safe guys, love you mate" His dad said, taking the lead off of Newt.

"Thank you, Love you too" Newt said, before jumping back over the fence.

"Be careful, roads are slippery around here this time of year!" His dad yelled out as he walked back towards the horse stables.

"Newt why is your playlist so sad?" Minho asked. Thomas was driving, Minho in the passenger seat because he refused to be a 'back seat bitch' (in his words)

Newt and Teresa were sitting in the back seat, leaving the middle open. Newt frowned, leaning over to look at his phone which was connected to aux.

"Cause youre in my gracie playlist" Newt said, rolling his eyes. Minho let out a loud 'ohhhhh' Sound, before clicking off it.

He scrolled for a minute before clicking his playlist he had made for car rides, which to be fair had a lot of sad stuff on it, but they were skipable.

Newt yawned as he leant his head against the back seat, closing his eyes softly.

"Tired?" Thomas asked as he looked at the blonde boy through the rear view mirror of the car. Newt opened his eyes, locking eyes with Thomas in the mirror.

"Very" Newt muttered back, his lips placing out a soft smile.

"Is it just me or did it get dark very fast?" Teresa said, looking outside her window. The clouds had covered the sun, dark clouds. "It's probably going to rain" Minho said.

As if right on cue, rain began to leave small droplets on the windshield. Newt chuckled at the irony. "That's your fault" Newt said to Minho, before resting his head back against the seat.

"Is it normally foggy around here Newt?" Minho asked as he looked out the window. Newt sighed as he reopened his eyes, looking around. "Yeah this is normal" Newt said.

It often got foggy, especially it cooler afternoons towards sunset. It was something Newt loved so much about the farm.

Newt furrowed his eyebrows as looked out the windshield, between the fog and the rain it was beginning to get hard to see.

There was a moment of silence, where everyone and everything just went silent as the moment of realisation fell onto Newt's shoulders, burying itself between his bones.

The headlights were too close, too bright. There wasn't enough time to swerve or move despite Thomas' attempts.

Newt heard Teresa's scream, it was deafening. Completely.

Newt found himself yelling Thomas' name, but it was too late. There wasn't enough time, the warning was too late.

The realisation was too late.